Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, i couldn't find another post involving this so, so here goes....Any Help is greatly appreciated!...
I have a 94 Bronco, 302 with the E40D Tranny. Im am putting in a new long block 302 (Ford Long block, Gt-40 heads, edlebrock intake/throttle body, etc...345hp) in the spring. I want to put in a bigger, heavier tranny, to handle the power and so i won't have any stupid little problems. I am wondering if I can put in a C6 Tranny into the 94. I am thinking that it will fit size wise, but do i have to mess around with the computer (or get a new one) I want to do this also, so i won't have to deal with a speed sensor in my rear end, so later i can go to a 9" / Dana60 / 10.25......PLMK! Thanks!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It'll fit, but I don't think it's that great of an idea for a few reasons. 1. You'll need to swap out the computer to a manual, rather than an automatic. 2. There's no overdrive on a C6. It'll be a horrible highway crusier. 3. It's big, heavy, and sucks up more horsepower to run than an E4OD or AOD.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Did it in a 91 F150 it does mess up the computer. The E40D was a piece of shit and my truck is used for plowing snow. Milage was not a problem for me.

·
Southeast Utah Native
920 Posts
You'll most likely have to change the cross member too. Driveshafts will both need to be changed as well. It might be more work & $$$ than it's worth.

y

·
Registered
912 Posts
On my 94 when I did the ZF swap I had ZERO computer issues. 3K miles later, still no problems. I simply unplugged all wiring to tranny from main harness. Everybody said no way I will have to get a new comp yet they had never done the swap. So........

As for the parasitic loss in the tranny I suspect the C6 will be about the same as your E40D, yet much stronger.

If you are turning this into a serious machine the E40D will not live up to the task IMO. Some on here have gotten great results. I blew up 2. The second was with a 20k lb cooler on it w/ a total of 19 quarts of ATF. Still blew.

If you want OD then stay E40d or go ZF

If not C6 is the way to go.

With what you are doing to the engine you will need a new comp anyway. Probaly will have to get one burned to get the most out of your engine mods, just make sure if you go C6 get a comp for a manual.

For driveshafts/ crossmember the C6 is 33.5" from bellhousing to t-case mounting if I remember correctly. For the ZF I fabbed up an extension to keep the same crossmember location yet raised the mount 1.5" to gain some clearance. Slightly more pressure on the motor mounts but no probs so far.

Jeff

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
wilit said:
2. There's no overdrive on a C6. It'll be a horrible highway crusier.
:bs C6 drives fine on the freeway. so you can't cruise at 80 mph. big deal, buy a mustang.

wilit said:
3. It's big, heavy, and sucks up more horsepower to run than an E4OD or AOD.
you also don't have to deal with any of the VSS and electronic crap of the E4OD or the weakness of the AOD. and no, they really aren't that big. the E4OD is quite a bit longer.

i don't know how many times i will have to post this quote:
Keith_L said:
'Cause they're cool, they crawl better and have virtually infinite variable ratio due to torque converter! And by "they" I mean the C6. The E4OD is problematic at best.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmm....

So I have gotten good and bad feedback on this one...See the thing is I have gotten a Free C6 and a Free NP205 out of a 79 F-250. Im just trying to figure out what would be easiest to do, and most reliable....What other trannies should I think about, I will even go to a manual, not even a big deal....PLMK, thanks guys!

P.S. O ya, i dont think im going to need a new comp for the motor too....im keep the factory harness's, everything connects.....

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Re: Hmmmm....

Haustkraft said:
So I have gotten good and bad feedback on this one...See the thing is I have gotten a Free C6 and a Free NP205 out of a 79 F-250. Im just trying to figure out what would be easiest to do, and most reliable....What other trannies should I think about, I will even go to a manual, not even a big deal....PLMK, thanks guys!
If it is from M engine it is a bigblock transmission

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn..

Damn..lol...OK, i have been doing some reading...I think im just going to stick with the E40D Tranny..and have my shop rebuilt it if i blow it, there a very good shop and know what there doing.....I would rather keep the BW1356, it has been pretty good to me, with no fuss, but I want to know if anyone around knows if I can swap it from the electronicly controlled way it is now, to a manual control. I can get the linkage and shifter and stuff very cheap, and i dont see why i cant swap it over, but just seeing if any one knows anything else! [already have the auto to manual hub kit] Thanks guys!

·
Registered
18 Posts
BW1356

I swapped my electric shift to manual. It was very easy. The hole in the floor is there, you just have to remove it and cut your carpet. The pate is glued on though, it's a bitch to get off. The speedo is the same too. It took me about two hours to do. Make sure you get all the transfercase shifter linkage off the side of the transmission. I didn't and couldn't find the right one for about a month. If you need any info please feel free to ask. The hubs are a easy swap as well. Just do a search.

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
Havent seen you in the "Falmouth Anyone" thread, go check it out in Nor east forum

Dang that was a long time ago... you didnt know Shiat about trucks then lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts