Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

c6 it almost shot

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  bstdad2 
#1 ·
i have a 79 bronco with the c6. it is covered with fluid and always wet. some of the xmsn pan bolts look like someone has been in there before. should i rebuild this puppy or take it to a pro. i am looking for someone with experience to tell me the smarter route to go. i have experience under the hood, but nothing of this degree yet. anyone out there rebuilt a c6 have pointers, like price, time, effort, areas to be careful...
thank you for your time.

#2 ·
Other than it being covered and fluid and always being wet, why is it shot? Bad shifting, slipping? If someone has had it off before, you may have your issues solved by changing the fluid, gasket and filter. Also something you could do in an afternoon easily... Mine was leaking like a sieve, turns out the PO got in there and broke one of the bolts off, and used just straight RTV for a gasket.

#3 ·
can you tell where the fluid is coming from? maybe they didnt torque the pan bolts properly and its seeping out? well if you feel it needs a rebuild its always a good idea to let an experienced person handle something so complex, otherwise you might spend alot of money in parts and have one big paper weight...

#5 ·
Rebuild it yourself. The C6 is one of the easiest tranny's to rebuild, Haynes sells a Ford Tranny book that takes down the rebuild path step-by-step with all kinds of pictures.

#6 ·
It is good to hear from you. I am doing well and really enjoying my bronco. my wife and I really enjoy taking it out on the beach for camping.

I remember you telling me about your xmsn build. is there a kit to install AO4D internals? I'd like to learn more about this. I am saving to build a reasonable c6 w/mild upgrades. Did you do yours, or did you have a friend build it? Now that I don't get paid every 1st and 15th, I don't want to tackle a project too big. I need to be sure that I can rebuild my xmsn in a reasonable time frame so that it can still get me to and from work. I also don't want to pull out my xmsn too early and need more parts that I have to save for. If you can think of small things i need to aquire as well I would be thankful. I'm sure there is more involved than a new tq converter and rebuild kit.

It is good to hear from you, and thank you for your post.
James

#8 ·
I had to buy all the parts to do the swap over to E4OD internals, there was no kit to do it. I first read about this in Peterson's 4WD and Offroad about 5-6 years ago, not sure if you can still pull this article from the archives or not. If you're going to do a straight rebuild on the C6, it's fairly easy, the hardest part will be finding a place to sell you any replacement parts you may need once you get it torn down, but that's what the yellow pages are for. If you do the E4OD internals, I seem to recall that one of internal parts needed some machine work done to it first, so you might want to let a shop do it for you. I ended up having a tranny shop rebuilding mine, not because it was out of my league, but because I just didn't have the time. The shop that did it, knew what I was talking about when I explained what I wanted done, he even went a little further and installed a heavy duty clutch pack as well. Best advice I can give you is talk to the local tranny shops in your area and see what they are willing to do for you? Some shops will allow you to pull the tranny and bring it in for a rebuild job, some want to do all the work (pull-rebuild-re-install). Ask them if they know how to do the E4OD internal upgrade and what it might cost you to have it done.

#9 ·
You still haven't told us why your xmsn needs a rebuild (and really, is typing transmission that big of a hassle). I had to stare at xmsn for a few minutes to figure out what the **** you were talking about.

A C6 is about as reliable as it gets, you'll spend a lot of extra money upgrading to E4OD internals for your stock 351M. A stock rebuild is just fine and expensive enough.

Rebuilding it is not as difficult as it seems. Buy the Haynes book. I pulled, rebuilt, and reinstalled my C4 in my F100 in a weekend.

#12 ·
It is always dripping wet. it is the original trans and has a little slip, hard shifts, and so on. it looks like the rear main seal is also leaking. when i pull the trans, i want to replace everything at once. i plan to rebuild the np205, install new joints, shafts, and install a beefed up c6. another year from that, i will rebuild the motor. probably stroking it to a 400m with a few upgrades.

OH, Xmsn is how we would write transmission where I worked. It is just a bad habit of mine I suppose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.