Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

C6 out. NP435/ranger gear splitter IN

5K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  coltscovel 
#1 ·
I am pooling parts for this swap. i am not a auto trans guy and i totally like having a gear splitter (had one on a 72 dodge dart). does anyone know when the clutches were switched from linkage to hydralic? i want to run a hydralic for syplicity. and i dont think my 84 bronco has the frame brackets to run the linkage. also what will need to be done with the nutral safty switch. i just want it dissabled so i can reach in the window and turn the key. and i am retro fitting a remote start on soon and not having the safty switch will be nice. thanks ahead of time.
truck- 84 bronco 300 six C6 auto NP208

#2 ·
your rear driveshaft is going to be crazy short. why not swap in a manual ZF 5 speed tranny.

#3 ·
that was my initial idea. basically i really like the gear splitter. alot of the highways here are weird speeds like 50mph and such where 3rd "and a half" would be perfect. i had a electronic one (gear vendors) on my old mucle car and it was great. also i like the np435. i can rebuild it and replace it for dirt cheap. the truck will be stock hight plus a 1inch body lift for tranny clearence so the rear drive line isnt that big of a deal. this truck is a daily driver and road tripper.

#4 ·
and the splitter is only 7.5 inches long. plus i am trying to figure out a way to loose some of the tailhousing of the trans. i am rebuilding a np205 to go behind it and i think i can take of a couple inches out of the middle and chop the output shaft.

#6 ·
(bronco graveyard measurments) My driveshaft is about 30 1/16 colapsed. the 5 speed broncos are about 25 7/8. so if i can ditch a couple inches and get the thinner transfercase (I beleave the 205 is thinner than 208) i could probley use a stock d shaft. sorry about all the random posts. kinda A.D.D and like to tangent :)

#7 ·
I'm not sure of the exact year, but I have two Broncos. Both are 300s with manual transmissions.

The '81 has a mechanical clutch and the '84 has a hydraulic clutch.
The '81 can start by just reaching in the window and turning the key. The '84 requires that the clutch is held down to the floor before it'll start.

That should at least narrow your range.

#9 ·
The 4spd is an SROD.

It's not the greatest transmission. The casing is aluminum and the mounting tabs that bolt it to the cross-member typically break off (both mine are broken, so the only thing holding my trans in place is that it's bolted to the engine).
No granny, and a really big gap between 2nd and 3rd.

It's taken me a lot of places, and gets pretty good gas mileage, so it's not necessarily a bad transmission, but there's a reason they only put it in Broncos for 3 years.

#10 ·
lol. fair enough. that is the big reason for me wanting a tourqe/gear splitter. six forward speeds and i travel alot. in my 76 chevy 4x4 (shhh. its gone now) with a 4 speed to down shift from 4th to third on a hill or something was not fun. plus i will be installing my ranger with a electonic actuator that is controlled from the steering wheel with a "od" light on the dash for when its engaged. i will be able to split the gears and shift at the same time. should be a pretty cool and reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.