Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this topic has been beaten to death but does anyone know what common problems a c6 trans. may have? I have a fairly new(to me) 78 FSB that waits til the ol' motor is singing really good before it wants to shift up, then will shift down too early as well! It doesn't shift up til about 38mph from 1st then 53mph from second. There is also a lag time from when I shift from park to anygear.(lots of slop in the Tcase?) I sure could use some advice on what to do before I have to tear the whole shootin match out and rebuild it. I hear its a bitch to remove the crossmembers on these things.:banghead

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
try searching vacuum modulator, and check yours for vacuum leaks. there are a couple recent threads on this very issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i had a similar problem where the transmission had to warm up before it would shift properly. it ended up being the torque converter, i blew it up towing my f250. when i removed my tranny it wasnt bad the biggest thing is having a jack for the t-case and tranny i made my own bracket to fit on my floor jack. i would check for vacuum leaks also and check the fluid level and color.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Prob the vacuum modulator..could be bad, out of adjustment or someone put the wrong color stripe on it.

·
Super Moderator
26,951 Posts
yo THUNDERBUGGY72; Download & Save this:

Description & Operation, Identification Tag, Parts Break-Out Diagram w/Nomenclature, Troubleshooting, Testing, In-Vehicle Service, R&R, Cleaning & Inspection; "Covers transmission assembly, dis-assembly, diagnosis, and troubleshooting." 4.88 MB pdf
Source: by Automatic Transmission Service Group (ATSG) @ http://akpp.in.ua/files/program/FORD/C-6.pdf

Can skip to page 51 and on for the TS Chart
vaacuum leak to Modulator (Ford describes it as da Diaphram)
Fluid Level Low or dirty
Linkage
Governor sticking
Main Ctrl Press too high
Valve body bolts loose, too tight or valves are sticking/dirty

MORE C6 LINKs in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=786

1 - 5 of 5 Posts