Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bronco has a tranny leak, i have to add a pint every now and then. i dont drive it every day so i havent really worried about it. i was told to use type f fluid, then i read the other day in a manual to use dexron//mercon. is the type f going to cause any problems? ive noticed it doesnt downshift into 2nd when you slow down to make a turn. you have to manually drop it to 2nd. it will downshift to 1st if you come to a complete stop. should i drain it and refill it with dexron//mercon?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
I don't remember, but type F is only for the older c6's, I think it is 80s an below. I know mine needs dex/mer fluid. Check the years for sure though...

Kc

·
Premium Member
14,612 Posts
I'd change the fluid and filter. Check the modular valve on the back side of the tranny. If the vaccum line is porous or popped off it wont down shift properly.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
If the tranny has been rebuilt, go with the Dex/Mer as that's all the tranny shops ever use and I'm told it's a better fluid. Otherwise, Stay with Type F even if you drain it because unlees you have a drain plug in the torque convertor, you won't get all the fluid out and you'll be mixing the two.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all input, but i dont know what was in it before, and ive been putting f in there and if it had dex/merc in there then they are already mixed. i realize i'm not going to get all of it out because of the converter but it probably needs to be changed out anyway i dont think the guy i got it from was real good with the maintenance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts