Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this spring im gonna do a complete drive train rebuild.

I'm just trying to gather info right now. I have searched.

I'm going to also rebuild my 460. I haven't decided on what build im gonna go with for that but im looking for around 500HP and 600TQ. With that being said im also going to rebuild the C6.

What should i do with the C6? Just the regular rebuild? or are there other mods i should look at?

Whats the difference between the auto and manual valve bodies? (May be a newbish type question but i don't know the answer to it :whiteflag)

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Check with someone like Broader Performance on what they do on their upgraded C-6's. KEvlar bands, change gear ratios, etc. www.460ford.com is your best site for 460 upgrades. let me know what you decide on, too. I will be upgrading my 460 and C6 at some point down the road or when one breaks down, JSM84

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check with someone like Broader Performance on what they do on their upgraded C-6's. KEvlar bands, change gear ratios, etc. www.460ford.com is your best site for 460 upgrades. let me know what you decide on, too. I will be upgrading my 460 and C6 at some point down the road or when one breaks down, JSM84
I'm a member on 460ford already...Thats where all my 460 questions are going :toothless

But i figured you guys here would prob be better for C6 options...

I don't think I'm gonna change the ratios. I don't see the need for it...

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Here is a Ford transmission Forum that I got all kinds of great info from
I just rebuilt my very first c-6, first tranmission for that matter
my best suggestion for you if you have never done this before?
buy a book on it, study all you can on it, gather everything you'll need.
gather all the tools you will need, and set up a clean well lit work area
with lots of contaners for keeping big and small parts in and seperated!
it was not no wheres near as hard as I thought it would be!
it was rather simple I think. not much to them
there are upgrades you can do as far as
gear ratio
clutch materials
and I think their is aod parts that you can swap in and improve durability?
I dont remember all that I read, but I searched the web for like a month or two before I started. here that site
http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730/
Good luck

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
I Paid somewhere's around $130 for my rebuild kit (don't remember exactly)
mainly all that is in there is a bunch of clutch disks and seals. it cost me less to do it myself than they wanted to just swap out-put shafts at the shop

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hey Rick. Read up on what you get from Broader Performance.

Wide Ratio gear set. Oversize drum to accept one extra clutch disk, needle bearings etc.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Looks like for 850$, they give you these parts in the rebuilt tranny.

I get about 675$ in parts. Thats not to say you could to just use a cheap kit and probably be fine for most apps, but this deal looks pretty good with labor less than 200$.

5 Clutch Direct Drum
This drum will hold 5 full thickness friction and steel plates. Specify with or without drain holes. Also specify lube modification for running over 6000 rpms. Price: $ 80.00

Welded Flex Band
This band has the struts welded to the sheet metal to prevent the ears from being torn off due to high pressures and weak rivets. Band is lined in a Carbon/Kevlar blended material. Reliability is close to a rigid band with costs similar to flex bands. Recommended for applications over 400 horsepower. Same as used in our 500HP build transmissions. Helps eliminate a common weak point in this transmission due to large servos and high ratio servo levers.
Price: $ 40.00

F Ratio Servo Lever 2.30:1 Ratio
This is a reproduction of Fords F ratio servo lever. This lever is a must for any high performance application and eliminates the need for expensive R servos during an overhaul. Use with small readily available stock servos. Transmission must be removed for installation. Price: $ 25.00

A fully rebuilt high performance valve body featuring improved lube flow and shift timing. Each valve body surface is lapped on our lapping table to ensure flatness and proper seal. Choose from stages 1-5 or our special Work Truck/RV calibration. Stage 1 is a soft shift progressing to Stage 5. Stage 5 is a hard shift and is recommended for use with higher stall torque converters. Valve bodies will hold 1st and 2nd gear positions at your command. Specify pre or post 1976 year transmission. If you are unsure of which year you have, order post 1976.
Price: $ 150.00

Heavy Gauge Oil Pan This is a new oil pan made of a thicker than OEM sheet metal. Helps prevent leaks. Pan is the deeper 1976up style. Can be used on any year 2wd C6.
Price: $ 25.00

500 HP Rebuild Kit

Finally a complete do it yourself kit for a true high performance C6! This kit comes with all needed soft parts as well as very detailed instructions to show you how to modify your C6 for most any type of application. We are proud to announce our new technical manual is now included with the kit! This kit includes all friction and steel plates, selective style steel plates, stepped pressure plate to add 1 extra friction in your direct drum, Carbon/Kevlar flex band, all gaskets and seals, #9 needle bearing kit, F ratio servo lever, complete thrust washer kit with selective, 5 stage shift kit, vacuum modulator, pump bushing, extension housing bushing, heavy gauge oil pan and our new technical manual with several color photos and modifications explained even for the novice builder. All modifications can be done with a set of drills and a hand grinder. We also back this kit with our live technical assistance if needed. Don't be left in the dark or spend weeks chasing parts. Let us help you get it done and get it right the first time! Specify pre or post 1976 when ordering. Also specify 2wd or 4wd.

Price: $355.00

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hey Ox - is that your Bronco in the 9 inch coil spring thread?

I went for the 500 HP trans & wide ratio gear set. When we opened my trans up the drum was small (out of a Mustang or something) so had to source that too.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Hey Ox - is that your Bronco in the 9 inch coil spring thread?

I went for the 500 HP trans & wide ratio gear set. When we opened my trans up the drum was small (out of a Mustang or something) so had to source that too.
Nope, I don't have 9" coils on anything.

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
well I don't remember exactly what I paid for my kit?
Like I said I did a lot of research, on techniques and improvements
I did install extra disk's , tightened up the tolerances
and I might even go back in there and drill the drain hole's in the drums?
I have plans on building a deeper pan with cooling tube's and who knows what else?
I am not shooting down what you guy's are saying!
I guess what I am trying to say is? there is a lot of stuff you can do yourself
Broader is a great place! I do not dispute that! and if you can afford to buy one already done by a reputable shop? DO IT! I would! if I could!! Trust Me!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
i had jwperformence rebiuld mine with rev valve body it was like 850.00 and they said it would hold up to 600hp. they spiclize in drag raceing tranies.
the rev manul valvebody was one of the best mod i ever did.
(just remimber it doesn't have a lockout):banghead

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Hey OX1 what did you make you're flare's out of? sheet metal?
do you have any picture's of that mod?
if you can send me some better picture's of you're Bronk
I would like to see it closer and how you did those flare's
Thanks.............Salt-Man :iiss:uke::brownbag

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like for 850$, they give you these parts in the rebuilt tranny.

I get about 675$ in parts. Thats not to say you could to just use a cheap kit and probably be fine for most apps, but this deal looks pretty good with labor less than 200$.

5 Clutch Direct Drum
This drum will hold 5 full thickness friction and steel plates. Specify with or without drain holes. Also specify lube modification for running over 6000 rpms. Price: $ 80.00

Welded Flex Band
This band has the struts welded to the sheet metal to prevent the ears from being torn off due to high pressures and weak rivets. Band is lined in a Carbon/Kevlar blended material. Reliability is close to a rigid band with costs similar to flex bands. Recommended for applications over 400 horsepower. Same as used in our 500HP build transmissions. Helps eliminate a common weak point in this transmission due to large servos and high ratio servo levers.
Price: $ 40.00

F Ratio Servo Lever 2.30:1 Ratio
This is a reproduction of Fords F ratio servo lever. This lever is a must for any high performance application and eliminates the need for expensive R servos during an overhaul. Use with small readily available stock servos. Transmission must be removed for installation. Price: $ 25.00

A fully rebuilt high performance valve body featuring improved lube flow and shift timing. Each valve body surface is lapped on our lapping table to ensure flatness and proper seal. Choose from stages 1-5 or our special Work Truck/RV calibration. Stage 1 is a soft shift progressing to Stage 5. Stage 5 is a hard shift and is recommended for use with higher stall torque converters. Valve bodies will hold 1st and 2nd gear positions at your command. Specify pre or post 1976 year transmission. If you are unsure of which year you have, order post 1976.
Price: $ 150.00

Heavy Gauge Oil Pan This is a new oil pan made of a thicker than OEM sheet metal. Helps prevent leaks. Pan is the deeper 1976up style. Can be used on any year 2wd C6.
Price: $ 25.00

500 HP Rebuild Kit

Finally a complete do it yourself kit for a true high performance C6! This kit comes with all needed soft parts as well as very detailed instructions to show you how to modify your C6 for most any type of application. We are proud to announce our new technical manual is now included with the kit! This kit includes all friction and steel plates, selective style steel plates, stepped pressure plate to add 1 extra friction in your direct drum, Carbon/Kevlar flex band, all gaskets and seals, #9 needle bearing kit, F ratio servo lever, complete thrust washer kit with selective, 5 stage shift kit, vacuum modulator, pump bushing, extension housing bushing, heavy gauge oil pan and our new technical manual with several color photos and modifications explained even for the novice builder. All modifications can be done with a set of drills and a hand grinder. We also back this kit with our live technical assistance if needed. Don't be left in the dark or spend weeks chasing parts. Let us help you get it done and get it right the first time! Specify pre or post 1976 when ordering. Also specify 2wd or 4wd.

Price: $355.00
Where are you pulling all that from?

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Broader Performance.

Cannot link to the exact page. But it's there on "C6 Parts"..500 HP.
I looked through all there C6s...What about the super duty or the truck RV ones?

I think I'm gonna do the work myself...I've never done a trans before...but i would like to...

·
Registered
37 Posts
what ever you do DO NOT buy from bpparts of of ebay:banghead rip off piece of sheet now help from them and $1500 and 28 stiches later it lives:chili::beer:chili::drinkbud

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Just wondering if you are reading the section concerning the 500 HP kits? (Which is what is posted above).

I bought that & the wide ratio kit. $650 at todays prices.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts