Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sort of problem. I was able to aquire a 78 C6 tranny from a f-250 with a 351. I also have a 351 and a C6. my current one is smoked and when i was about to do the swap i took a very close comparison at the two. there is one major factor that seems to be missing on the 78 tranny and that is 2 mounting spots on the bell housing for the shift linkage to go into. Pretty much other than that, the swap seems feasable. Does anyone know of a way to get the shift linkage to work on the 78 that doesnt have all the nessecary holes to set the shift linkag in properly?

Also my 89 has a neutral saftey switch that is electronic and the 78 looks just mechanical. And the arms that appear to go to the throttle are different lengths, should this be something to worry about? I would hate to find this tranny useless because i traded my boggers to get it because i am doing an SAS soon.

Any help would be appreciated..

Basher

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
did the 78 you got the tranny out of have a 351M or a 351W? The 351M uses a big-block bellhousing bolt pattern and is visibly different than a small-block C6.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Using a 70's C6 in an 80's application requires that the shift lever on the transmission be swapped out due to the levers rotating in opposite directions between the decades.

Tailhousings/tailshafts may be different lengths between the two so you may have driveshaft length issues. Swapping tailshafts/tailhousings requires the transmissions to be torn down.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I would think that the safest way to go is to find an 80's model C6. They are still fairly common and usually cheap to buy and rebuild, especially if you rebuild it yourself, which is not very difficult.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts