Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
84' 150, 4wd C6. It seems whenever the truck sits over night or long enough to cool, nothing wants to happen when I put it into drive. Seemed to do it more-so during the winter time, but its starting to act up now as well. Does not matter if I put it in D, 2, or 1. It will however take right off if I put it into reverse... no hesitation at all. I thought maybe the clutches are starting to slip, but it doesn't move at all for a good 10 seconds or whatever in forward gears, even if revved some... then it seems to get pressure or grab and all is OK. I'm sure its due for a rebuild, but I'd really like to get some more insight one what might be causing this before I go ahead and tear the thing out sometime. Trans fluid level is ok. I'm guessing its something to do with whatever gives the forward gears pressure, since reverse has no wait to engage... but don't really know much about how the C6 works internally. I've heard from a couple people the seals inside might just be getting hard, but what seals in there would cause forward engagement hesitation while reverse kicks in fine?

·
Registered
207 Posts
i had one due the same thing and was told it has something to do with rubber seals leaking and taking longer to build pressure when cold. as for what excacty it is I dont know.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Little update for anyone else who finds this during a search... Was under there the other day and pulled the hose off the vacuum modulator, and fluid poured out- meaning the diaphragm inside was no longer good. I've read on another thread or two that this can cause odd shift characteristics. The part was cheap (like 10$ from napa I think) so I decided to replace it seeing that it was bad. Not sure if its just a coincidence, but the past three days I've driven the truck since replacing the modulator my delayed engagement has been gone. It was doing it literally every morning and sometimes in the afternoon, now not at all. The fluid looks like crap now anyway from slipping it while it was doing the delayed engagement, so a rebuild is somewhere down the road anyhow. Maybe it's just a fluke that it's working now, or maybe the vacuum modulator somehow fixed it... will update

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
obviously your problems never stop either lol. gonna start workin on the 250 tomorrow. Maybe wheel next weekend (not this 4th of july weekend, I'm talkin 9th-11th)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah man, it's literally endless. I mean I can't really complain, it's held up pretty good for a 25+ year old truck that I've abused nonstop since I've gotten it. It's never broken down in the woods, and anytime something bad has gone wrong I've been able to drive it home.
The trans seems completely fine once it gets going, other than the slippage in 4HI when I'm stuck... but 4LO pulls good still. Maybe its just in my head but it feels like it shifts better now with the new modulator thing in. I'm just really trying to hold off until I absolutely have to rebuild/replace it since I'm a lazy bastard, and want to save up for a daily driver too.
Get that 250 going! I saw you finally got rid of the Bronco too, at least that's one problem truck out of your hands. I'm down to go out and cruise around, just let me know when.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have the same problem and a tranny guy told me it was the sealshe said try some additive and i should be good till im ready to rebuild....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have the same problem and a tranny guy told me it was the sealshe said try some additive and i should be good till im ready to rebuild....
Yeah I've been told the same thing by everyone I've asked.. seals getting hard/leaking. I'm not too familiar with the C6 and how it operates (went to school for GM :duh), but I'm assuming theres a forward drum that comes into play for D and Manual 1-2... and whatever seals for that are screwed up. Reverse has always been fine, but thats getting some slippage now in 4HI when stuck... so who knows. The delayed engagement for the forward gears used to only ever do it when it was cold out (winter time), but this year its continued into the warm months as well. I figured it couldn't hurt to do the modulator since it was obviously bad- and cheap enough that if it didn't do anything I wouldn't really care. Ever since it started the delayed engagement, every time I'd go to drive it was like a gamble if that was gonna be the day that it would never kick into gear.. so it'll be interesting to see when that'll be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts