Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
that's a lot of oil
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'd been hearing the rumors of a mid-engine vette for a while and I'd always said believe it when I see it. Well, I see it now. Pretty amazing that Chevy pulled this off at all, let alone at the $60k price point. I'm sure the high end tricked out versions will hit $100k, but still. IMO, all this thing needs is a true manual transmission. Other than that, it ticks a lot of boxes for me - RWD, normally aspirated, V8, 495hp. I'll wait to see one in person, but I'm guessing they are going to sell a LOT of these.

Thoughts?

https://www.netcarshow.com/chevrolet/2020-corvette_c8_stingray/#3

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
There are dealers in the Detroit area that are knocking nearly $10K off the price of the C7 (2019). This is the first time in my memory that Corvettes have ever been discounted.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,854 Posts
I have never been a huge Corvette fan. I do like the looks of the 1970's Stingrays. The 80's and 90's vettes were not impressive to me at all. I have driven them and the power was great but too cramped.

Saying that this new one is awesome. The mid engine, refinements in and out and overall looks are great.

Still I would never buy one. It's great for those who want one, it's just not for me.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
If I could comfortably afford one I would buy one after a few years of production, me thinks that it will have some bugs to be worked out

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'll be honest, if they're serious about below 60k entry price and not just 59,999 I think they're going to sell more than they know... and I'd be inclined to look into one too if they figure out how to fit someone over 6' in them :toothless

·
Foolsize Member
1,543 Posts
My honest (and probably unpopular) take:

I wish GM would have continued with the radical redesign of the car by giving up the OHV design. You've got this cutting edge mid engine sports (super?) car, dual clutch 8 speed, GPS guided hydraulic axle lift system, and a driver focused dash, infotainment system, etc. Yet its still being powered by a giant, pushrod actuated, 2 valve "truck" engine that needs 6.2 liters to make 495 horsepower.

Kind of a letdown honestly. But meh, its GM so I never expect much.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
It finally looks nice.

The only real nit I can pick with it is that the rear looks an awful lot like a Camaro.

And that I've been there/done that 2x with GMs and got bitten 2x.

The C7 looked very overdone, like something a 12 year old would draw in math class.

This looks great (except for the rear)

And while GM may put an MSRP below $60k, you can bet the dealers will hang a "Market Adjustment" on there for the first several months.

Sadly, people will still buy it even with the jacked-up sticker.

Paying over MSRP for a vehicle that is still in production strikes me as insanity, but hey, gotta be first on the block to buy something you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you don't know.

As far as the GM pushrod engines, GM does do pushrod engines right.

The LS engine in my Camaro SS was the single bright spot.

If the rest of the car was as good as the engine I would still have it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If Acura had only done this with a cheaper version of the NSX then maybe it would be the hottest thing out, leaving no room for the C8 to move.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Acura with the NSX and Toyota with the Supra are both probably going to realize they screwed the pooch not following the approach that made them popular to begin with being 'affordable' super cars... as far as the push rod goes, I'd expect to see a C8 with an optional twin turbo v6 and hybrid drive train before they start looking toward a C9 redesign. I think they wanted to stay safe to their fan base that wasn't too keen on moving to the mid-engine setup to begin with before they throw more change at them regardless of how much better it might be... remember they're chevy guys after all :thumbup

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I seem to remember a picture that had the Ford GT and the C8 Corvette, both in side view, and comparing the styling similarities. I was pretty sure it was on this site, but I can't seem to find it. I wanted to forward it to one of my GM loving friends.
Anyone able to respond with the link? Thanks

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I seem to remember a picture that had the Ford GT and the C8 Corvette, both in side view, and comparing the styling similarities. I was pretty sure it was on this site, but I can't seem to find it. I wanted to forward it to one of my GM loving friends.
Anyone able to respond with the link? Thanks

Something like this maybe? For the base price, you could get eight C8's for the price of one new GT.

·
that's a lot of oil
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not surprised they look pretty similar, and same about the similarity with Mclarens and such. Only so much you can do with the engine in the middle:histerica.

Heard today that Chevy reported 2020 vets are nearly all spoken for... good for them I guess, but if I was in the market I'd wait at least a year for them to get any bugs worked out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My honest (and probably unpopular) take:

I wish GM would have continued with the radical redesign of the car by giving up the OHV design. You've got this cutting edge mid engine sports (super?) car, dual clutch 8 speed, GPS guided hydraulic axle lift system, and a driver focused dash, infotainment system, etc. Yet its still being powered by a giant, pushrod actuated, 2 valve "truck" engine that needs 6.2 liters to make 495 horsepower.

Kind of a letdown honestly. But meh, its GM so I never expect much.

The LT2 is an overhead cam engine iirc. They show a cutaway in one of the promo release vids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,634 Posts

·
Foolsize Member
1,543 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts