Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put a 460 in their Ca bronco and have it smog legal ?
thinking about doing this some time

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
If you live in Ca. it won't happen. Per Ca smog rules the Bronco can only have the same size engine in it that was offered when it was originally built which is the 351M or 400. Since the 460 was never offered you can't swap over, you can't even swap in an engine that would be more smog friendly without going through a huge hassle.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
938 Posts
Isint there a cut off date when older vehicles are exempt from emmissions?

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
886 Posts
I dunno if it is still the same now, but around where I used to live in CA about 15 years ago the answer used to be to get a PO Box in Cazadero, which was smog exempt, and register your vehicle to that PO Box. Dunno if that still works now or not.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. But has anyone actually Installed a 460 and had success at the smog shop

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have not done it myself but there was a 79 w a 460 for sale in Bay area recently. Owner said it had current registration.
I’d suggest to call and speak to Bar referee to discuss the swap plans. I know crate engines wont work. You basically need a CA wrecked donor truck to swap engine and all the emissions components in a stock configuration of donor year.
i am planning to attempt a Coyote in a 79 myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
here is a post today on FB 78/79 group:
For sale - "1978 Ford Bronco XLT Ranger for sale. It has a 460 / 7.5 EFI conversion with overdrive."
"the truck was taken to the referee at the bar, they made all the recommendations needed to smog, after $3k +\- it finally passed and was given a emissions decal from the state. The previous owner spared no expense "
They show the smog report for '87 engine passing on the 78 Bronco.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've wondered this myself as I know that the 1978-1979 2wd F150 had the 460 engine as an option. I ended up going with a 400 as it was just way cheaper and easier (just passed CA smog two days ago). Definitely give the Smog Ref a call and get a real answer before you even start collecting parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts