Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. SO. I moved from oregon (no emissions or inspections in the wonderful land) to california because of the marine corps. obviously i took my awesome built truck which has no emissions BS on it cause i have never used it. I show up at work, go and try to get a base permit, but the fkin nazis who run this joint wont let me get one cause i have to pass cali smog even though she is registered in oregon. Im not even about to try and put cats on it and get it to pass emissions cause it simply wont. They said something about a "referee" or some BS, idk wtf she was talkin about. i would much rather find a dirty smog guy to just give me the damn sheet of paper so i can get my base permit. any help or info? already hate the country of california and been here 4 months.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Short answer your screwed.

However in terms of "pass or pass" smog shops... Whats your location

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im on Miramar. i know there is someone out there who will do it, i see plenty of "illegal" rigs around

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anything? anyone?

·
Registered
440 Posts
You know OPSEC/PERSEC? Same sorta thing...i don't think asking for illegal things on an online forum is the best way of doing it there brother. PM someone and maybe they can help you. I hope you can find someone though.

I was in the also military 13 years and I've never had to meet any CA emissions as long as I kept my POV registered in my home state. You should ask around someone else on base to help you. because you DO NOT have to register your vehicle in CA if your state of residence is Oregon.

Good Luck and stay safe...Semper Fi Devil Dog!

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I thought military was exempt from needing to follow other states stupid smog laws.

·
Super Moderator
26,966 Posts
yo,
This is by CA DMVSmog
Is there a nonresident military exemption from the smog inspection?
No, if the vehicle is to be registered in California, a smog inspection certification is required.

Nonresident Military Personnel
Any nonresident owner of a vehicle registered in a foreign state and a member of the U.S. armed forces or spouse of a member of the U.S. armed forces on active duty within this state. Any person on continuous active duty in the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard is considered military personnel. This does not include civilian personnel employed by a branch of the armed forces.

For more information on vehicle smog requirements in California click here.
Is there a military exemption from the smog inspection?
No, a smog inspection certification is required

Read this
What if my car fails the inspection?
DMV cannot provide technical information or advice in this area. We recommend that you call the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) toll free number at 800-952-5210.
You may be eligible to participate in the Voluntary Accelerated Vehicle Retirement Program (also known as the old vehicle buy back program).

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARResources/01_CAP&GoldShield/Factsheets/Website CAP FAQs.pdf

·
Registered
49 Posts
do you really want someone to risk their job to get your truck registered?
just park it and get another vehicle to drive while in CA.
if you are going to be here a long time, a diesel is smog exempt..

Im on Miramar. i know there is someone out there who will do it, i see plenty of "illegal" rigs around

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
do you really want someone to risk their job to get your truck registered?
just park it and get another vehicle to drive while in CA.
if you are going to be here a long time, a diesel is smog exempt..
diesels are not smog exempt any more.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
yo,
This is by CA DMVSmog
Is there a nonresident military exemption from the smog inspection?
No, if the vehicle is to be registered in California, a smog inspection certification is required.

Nonresident Military Personnel
Any nonresident owner of a vehicle registered in a foreign state and a member of the U.S. armed forces or spouse of a member of the U.S. armed forces on active duty within this state. Any person on continuous active duty in the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard is considered military personnel. This does not include civilian personnel employed by a branch of the armed forces.

For more information on vehicle smog requirements in California click here.
Is there a military exemption from the smog inspection?
No, a smog inspection certification is required

Read this
What if my car fails the inspection?
DMV cannot provide technical information or advice in this area. We recommend that you call the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) toll free number at 800-952-5210.
You may be eligible to participate in the Voluntary Accelerated Vehicle Retirement Program (also known as the old vehicle buy back program).

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARResources/01_CAP&GoldShield/Factsheets/Website CAP FAQs.pdf
but if he keeps it registered in his home state which the military personnel can do he will not need a smog cert.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I dunno why the base is requiring a ca smog cert, unless stupid ca has some other way of bending the US goverment's laws.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
news to me, a quick search shows that is true for 1998 or newer vehicles?
not a problem for a Bronco then right?
as in a factory diesel 4 door bronco? If they started then in model year 1998 then it will be fine.

how ever if you take a modern diesel engine and stuff it in a 96 or older gas bronco I am sure there is grey area, and they may force you to smog the diesel for ever.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Wangle a transfer to Fallon Naval Air Station in Fallon, NV and you can drive any POJ you want:rofl: Plus you can own any kind of gun you want, shoot it anywhere, make as much noise as you want and go wheeling wherever you want. Not like in commieland...Mexifornia.:rockon

·
Registered
49 Posts
as in a factory diesel 4 door bronco? If they started then in model year 1998 then it will be fine.

how ever if you take a modern diesel engine and stuff it in a 96 or older gas bronco I am sure there is grey area, and they may force you to smog the diesel for ever.
I've looked into swaps before, and my understanding was the tests go by the newer of engine or car, so if you swap in a 98 or newer diesel into an older car, then it would need smog test of the newer engine.
After a swap, you take it to an inspector that verifies its a diesel and they change the designation on the title, and it will be smog exempt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
california law requires you register the car in this state if you drive it here and live here, being military, they know you live here, can't lie about it, which some do to avoid the smog test. however they can get you for that if you are pulled over or get in an accident and you have a california drivers license that shows you live here and the car is registered to you.
sucks, but that is the law, gotta find the loopholes, make it a hybrid..

QUOTE=jopes;2740144]but if he keeps it registered in his home state which the military personnel can do he will not need a smog cert.[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
california law requires you register the car in this state if you drive it here and live here, being military, they know you live here, can't lie about it, which some do to avoid the smog test. however they can get you for that if you are pulled over or get in an accident and you have a california drivers license that shows you live here and the car is registered to you.
sucks, but that is the law, gotta find the loopholes, make it a hybrid..

QUOTE=jopes;2740144]but if he keeps it registered in his home state which the military personnel can do he will not need a smog cert.
[/QUOTE]

Yes that may be true, but I am also sure fed law trumps States when it comes to certain things. Case and point medical marijuana. CA has it legal, but it is still federally illegal land you can be tossed in jail for having too much of it.

·
Premium Member
9,989 Posts
(1) Thru the Bureau of Automotive Repair you used to be able to apply online for financial help if you qualify with low income where they authorize up to $500.00 FREE for smog related issues and repairs only or pay 20% of the cost depending on your income level. If you qualify they send you a authorized letter/check form to be used at any "state approved smog station" on their list, search DMV site, you can copy/print the application and mail it in OR you can turn in the vehicle if it's driveable and receive $1,000.00 for it.....lol lol

(2) You can find a DMV Referee thru the Bureau of Automotive Repair, just look it up at www.dmv.ca.gov - you may have to "search" a bit...I went thru this several years ago when my BKO failed because of a dead #2 cylinder, deemed as a "Gross Poluter" so in order to get tags you go to a desingated DMV Referee with the results of the "approved state smog station" if they can't fix or repair or if it's something other then a smog issue. The DMV Referee will re-smog and/or evaluate the vehicle again for a fee, mine was $38.00 but I got registration tags for 2 years, more then enough time to FIX or FLEE.....lol lol

I don't understand if you're transfered from your resident state for military service and not a resident of CA why you need to do anything to your Bronco, that totaly SUCKS.......BUT becarefull if you find someone willing to "bend" the rules for CA smogging, the fines could be $100,000 to the smog tech business and possible confiscation of your BKO...?

Upgrade the Bronco to pass smog and when your tour of duty is over here, remove/sell all the smog parts to someone here who needs it.......otherwise pay the $5.00 for non-operational fee and put the BKO in storage...IDK.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
56 Posts
yo youre not screwed... just ask around or drive around and try to find a shop that looks like they could use the business. if you knoiw anyone on base who drives a modified vehicle newer than '75 chances are they have had the same prob. good luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts