Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where have yall seen common leaks originating from? Driver footwell is always wet, driver rear near the tailgate, and once in awhile the passenger footwell, that one seems to be intermittent. The fiberglass has never been removed so theoretically the seal should be alright, and the only place I've felt moisture (in the back) is near the window seals in the fiberglass. Rear window has been resealed, tailgate seal is in good shape and tailgate strikers are adjusted right. Same thing up front, seals are in good shape, strikers are set. The only thing up front I can see is that the drip rails are starting to crack up into the cab. And I get some moisture from the upper windshield seal (need a new one anyhow). Ever heard of that failing?

I'm gonna do the logical thing and take a hose to it when it warms/dries up (I'm in Washington state and it's currently dumping snow) I just wanted to see if y'all had any "that's where mine went and I did this" moments.

Thanks folks!
Chris

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did some research on my 94 because she was also leaking at the same areas except the windshield. The seals commonly go bad in areas such as the windshield and the fiberglass shell. I fixed it the lazy way by having my guy use black or clear silicone to seal the areas I was having.

What part of Washington do you live in? I used to live in Bremerton and I had a guy “waterproof” my truck for me. I can give you his number if you’re close. He uses smoke/mist to locate all problem leaking areas. He’s done mine and other Broncos before and I haven’t had a problem with leaks since. He also guarantees his work for life as long as you don’t void it such as removing the shell. I plan on taking my shell off and replacing the seal which I recommend you do as well.

Lastly there’s a thread all about bronco leaks on this forum somewhere. Try googling it and see it it pops up.

Edit: are your doors aligned and closing correctly? I forgot to mention that was another issue I had. I had another different guy( also on Bremerton) fix my doors for me and make sure they sealed right when they close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
4,259 Posts
In your year is there a cowl diverter on the firewall? They can get chewed up and brittle over the years leading to leaks on the floor. The seals on the wing windows (if u have them) are another good culprit. Windshield seals, especially around the top corners. My 82 had a leak there and it dripped off my visor into the drivers floor. Tailgate leaks could be the window sweeps at the bottom of the window or the seal around the top isn't replaced well, or maybe the drain holes at the bottom of the tailgate might be plugged. Have you opened the tailgate to see if the vapor barrier is still in place? If not may need to rig a new one. Last thought on the tailgate is if u have a sill plate gasket and cover, how are the screws fitting? Missing any? Maybe back them out and add a little silicon seal on the holes before replacing with new screws... Oh... Last thought... I've read that some times leaks on the passenger foot well could be I think they said heat pump? But don't quote me on that. Hopefully sometime else can come in and confirm that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In your year is there a cowl diverter on the firewall? They can get chewed up and brittle over the years leading to leaks on the floor. The seals on the wing windows (if u have them) are another good culprit. Windshield seals, especially around the top corners. My 82 had a leak there and it dripped off my visor into the drivers floor. Tailgate leaks could be the window sweeps at the bottom of the window or the seal around the top isn't replaced well, or maybe the drain holes at the bottom of the tailgate might be plugged. Have you opened the tailgate to see if the vapor barrier is still in place? If not may need to rig a new one. Last thought on the tailgate is if u have a sill plate gasket and cover, how are the screws fitting? Missing any? Maybe back them out and add a little silicon seal on the holes before replacing with new screws... Oh... Last thought... I've read that some times leaks on the passenger foot well could be I think they said heat pump? But don't quote me on that. Hopefully sometime else can come in and confirm that.
I'll have to look into the cowl diverter. It's a 94 and I've spent zero time under the dash or cowl, short of cleaning the drains out. The vapor barrier in the tailgate is gone so that I'll definitely get a handle on that. Otherwise all the drains are clear; cowl, tailgate, doors. I've also replaced all the wipers over the last couple years, so no issues there. But thank you guys! I'm leaning to the front mostly being windshield and old seam sealer and the rear being old seals.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im in Seattle and have been fighting this good fight too on my 94. I replaced all the seals on the top and I’m still getting a rando leak than runs down the B-pillar and drips above the rear speakers. I got fed up and ran a bead of caulk everywhere i could think and it helped. I also removed and resealed the windows on the top. Cab leaks are the worst in WA, I feel ur pain.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Yo Chris,
See cowl leaks by @jowens1126 and @jermil01 @ water leak in windshield wiper 'cowl'

Tailgate Area Carpet Leaks; "The tailgate access panel is very prone to leaks. Water runs in between the window and outer glass sweep then seeps through the access panel into your bed. Ford thought a piece of paper between the panel and the tailgate was a good idea.
You might want to remove the access panel and replace that paper seal with some plastic sheeting.
You probably did nothing wrong, its the quality of the aftermarket seals. I replaced my door seals with aftermarket because I figured "hey they are 20 yrs old" now I have this annoying whooshing sound of air coming into the cab that I didn't have with the "old" factory seals.
I also replaced all the seals on the top, no leaks before, now I have a small leak between the cab and the top when it rains real hard
by @JScatt @ Top water leak at rear glass

See "headliner leak around the dome light" @ How to stop water leak in 1994 Bronco Shell?
▪︎
Look behind the brake booster.
▪︎
1988 Ford Truck Bronco Full Size
COWL - WATER LEAKS TO THE INTERIOR/
LEAK - WATER - COWL TOP WELD JOINT
Article No. 88-2-14
LIGHT TRUCK: 1988 F-SERIES, BRONCO
ISSUE: Water entering the passenger compartment of the vehicle while driving in the rain may be caused by inadequate sealing of the cowl top weld joint. The leak cannot be diagnosed using a normal water test with a hose.
ACTION: To correct this, seal the cowl top inner to outer weld joint using the following service procedure.
1. Loosen hood hinge bolts on hood.
2. Position hood all the way forward and tighten bolts to hold it in position.
3. Remove cowl top grille and tape edges of cowl access opening.
4. Remove bolts from wiper pivot shaft assembly.
FIGURE 23

5. Reaching through the access hole in the cowl top outer panel, apply a bead of Ford Clear Silicone Sealer, D6AZ-19562-AA, to the cowl top weld joint, Figure 23.
NOTE: A small mirror may be helpful to see the weld joint.
6. Remove tape from cowl access opening.
7. Install bolts that hold wiper pivot shaft assembly.
8. Reinstall the cowl top grille.
9. Realign hood assembly.
PART NUMBER PART NAME CLASS
D6AZ-19562-AA Ford Clear Silicone B Sealer OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: None WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Basic Warranty Coverage OPERATION: 880214A TIME: 2.1 Hrs. DLR. CODING: Basic Part No. 7002010 Code: 68" by Ford

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sadly after replacing the seals on my top with JBG (I think the shoddy cab seal, that was thicker than factory, probably same generic weather stripping as used for the door frame and trimmed too long, may be pushing off slightly causing the top to cab seal to not sit properly to do its job), I have a leak running down the passenger speaker grill and both rear corners are wet on the carpet. If I could get a decent weekend without the constant rain (sorry for those of you who are having to deal with snow instead), I plan on just going the silicone route to get both issues hopefully sorted.

Previously I had moisture build up due to the foil back sound deadener as condensation would collect under my floor mats (which caused some mildew buildup unbeknownst to me on the rear floorboard of the front carpet which I had replaced previously), but adding the foam sound deadener has seemed to fix that issue at least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.