Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the regulations on a 78 bronco in California? I have heard there is smog laws on the 78. And i have heard there is none. I dont wanna move out there and then have it smogged and not pass. Debating whether I wanna sell it or keep it.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,598 Posts
Federal or CA emissions certification ("49 state" truck or a "CA" truck) will determine what is required to be in place on the engine. CA had a bit more stuff.

Must pass visual and sniffer test.

I had brought 49 state rigs into CA years ago without much issue. but haven't done it in about 10 years now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crap, I dont think it will do either. Yeah, I was reading about the 49 state stuff on the DOT site. Motor has work done to it, and I run a Truck Avenger carb. So I know it wont pass.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
just bring it, green sticker it and tow it around. :)

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
I believe the cut off is 1976 for smog exemption, you might be able to Referee and get a By for a while thru the BAR Dept. and you you can apply for "repair assistance program" if you income qualify they will authorize up to $500.00 FREE smog repair work at a Gold Seal Approved tech station on a list.

I just did it myself and they respond fast, you can even print the application on line.

Check out www.dmv.ca.org there's lots of info!

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
78 = no cat and very minimal smog equipment. You shouldn't have much of an issue at all. Especially if it is a 49 stater.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know what the stock smog stuff is on a 78? It cant be that strict for that year. Thanks for all the help. Maybe i"ll check out that green sticker thing too.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Well the required equipment has to do if its a 49 state or not like others are saying. Whatever the truck came with it needs to have still. Like others have said emmissions were pretty lax in 79. Most shops dont look to carefully at equipment like smog pumps, cats, etc. The place I smog at had a hard time figuring out how to open the hood so they had no clue about anything else. I dont have all the factory equipment on my truck but it smogs fine. The numbers out the tail pipe are what most smog shops look for. I know a good shop in San Jose that wont care about anything but the numbers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Does anyone know what the stock smog stuff is on a 78? It cant be that strict for that year. Thanks for all the help. Maybe i"ll check out that green sticker thing too.
P.C.V, T.A.C (thermostatic air cleaner) Evap, A.I.S (air injection system)
O.C. cat converter, E.G.R (E.G.R backpressure transducer for manual trans only)
:thumbup

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well the required equipment has to do if its a 49 state or not like others are saying. Whatever the truck came with it needs to have still. Like others have said emmissions were pretty lax in 79. Most shops dont look to carefully at equipment like smog pumps, cats, etc. The place I smog at had a hard time figuring out how to open the hood so they had no clue about anything else. I dont have all the factory equipment on my truck but it smogs fine. The numbers out the tail pipe are what most smog shops look for. I know a good shop in San Jose that wont care about anything but the numbers.
I just ran my '78 through a test only shop in Benicia and got jacked on teh visual. It tested great on emmissions, but I got nailed on 2 hoses, a fuel leak at the carb and evap leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts