Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 89' FSB passed everything on the smog test except the low idle emissions.Pass is 120 HC PPM mine was 152 HC PPM.I've gone thru the entire emissions system from vacuum lines to thermacter system,EGR.Idle air bypass,etc.I installed a idle air adjust.spacer that mounts on the side of the throttle body so the idle can be adjusted manually now.I also ran the engine till good and hot and checked the cats,I have 2.The first cats' a light off,the second cat does most the oxidation.No rattling or loose parts noises,also I ran codes and the only code that came up was 12 or 13,has to do with idle thats why I installed the IAC spacer.Any suggestions on my next step.I know,California sucks.Thanks for any help.My FSB 5.0, 302 WITH THE E4OD

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Did you happen to clean the IAC using TB cleaner before the test and how old is the TPS......?

When I went this past Sept. 09, I put in new and least expensive Autolite plugs (.44 gap) a new O2 sensor, O2 life cycle is 30K miles....I made sure my MSD ignition components were in good condition, ie; cap and rotor contact points as they were fairly recent then I backed the timing down to 4 degrees BTDC and drove it for an hour with just slightly more then 1/4 tank of gas....

I stopped a few blocks from the Test Only smog center and added 1/2 gallon of 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol to 1/4 tank of gas, drove in and passed with flying colors on the "re-test" on Sepulveda Blvd in Manhattan Beach, CA across from the mall.

The alcohol mixed with the gasoline creates moisture when it burns and reduces the HC and CO% in my case down about 70% across the board......

Check thread: I done failed my smog test....or title close to that and you'll see my numbers posted. Now mind you, the engine in there was new in 08 with maybe 3-4k on it and I wanted to see first time around if it would pass without any changes, though it barely failed I offered to be the lab rat here...lol lol.......and a few FSB members offered a couple of ideas, several gallons of 85 Ethanol gasoline but the nearest one was a 50 mile round trip to Brentwood, the second one was the rubbing alcohol practice from a fathers used car business in OC and we figured out the best mix of alcohol to gasoilne as a standard recipe.....lol lol.... Isopropyl cost a total $5.51 plus tax from Walmart, using 2 x 32 ounce bottles to 1/4 tank of gas.....

Because of this succes, this is my SOP from now on at smog time.....:rockon

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
why would you add in something to adjust idle when the computer is controlling it?

did you do the standard pre emission shit before going it?

complete tune up including a fresh oil change?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Brand new IAC and TPS. I ran codes before taking in for smog and code12 popped up.Friend suggested to install IAC spacer for more air flow?Also,installed new plugs,wires,oil and filter change.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
how about cap and rotor, and base timing check?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
post up the complete smog check numbers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts