Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Clearly you did not look at the Magnaflow website.....

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/universalCARB/410.asp

Want me to install the cat for you as well? :goodfinge

CLEARLY you don't like to or can't read. The excerpt I qoute below is taken from the webpage you linked that I read yesterday. Oh and for the record I said they did not have any OBDII converters for Bronco's not no OBDII converters at all.

"*Effective 1-1-2009, ALL California vehicles will no longer be based upon G.V.W. (Gross Vehicle Weight) and engine size. Application look-up is the only approved method for determining the correct part number for ALL California Vehicles. It is illegal in California to select a catalytic converter for installation based solely on vehicle weight, engine size, physical shape, size, configuration or pipe diameter. To learn more about the NEW California Catalytic Converter Laws click HERE."

So tell me where exactly does it say those universal converter's are for my truck? Because when I search for my 1996 in the "Application Look Up," which according to the excerpt above is the only legal way to find a converter now, I find jack and squat.

While I appreciate the advice(albeit incorrect), if you are going to try and call someone out I would suggest you have your facts straight before you do so.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,875 Posts
Jeez, are you wanting to brownnose the emissions testing? You pass, you just fail visual. Get a cat that looks like stock and you'll pass visual.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The new law was designed to create a source of revenue for the state by forcing oems and aftermarket suppliers to "qualify" for the CARB EO#s.

In this case sourcing converters via GVWRs has been phase out.

If your bronco is OBD1 The CARB approved cats I was able to purchase were 3"diameter. If the truck was OBD2 it would have restricted the diameter to 2.5in.

The cats must have the CARB EO# on them and the smog techs will be instructed to check at the slightest hint of mods ie:headers etc.

The moment I pulled into the inspection the guy was already shaking his head....

Truck passed with flying colors and yes he did check for all of the CARB stuff...did I feel singled out? Heck yeah! That's what happens when you mod things.

·
Registered
113 Posts
if I remember correctly Hi-Flow cats are now illegal in CA, you can't sell or buy em, and not legal on any vehicle that needs to be smogged. There are only 3 manufacturers that make cats for California, last year I paid $270.00 to have a new 3way Catco cat put in my Jeep, the installer had to fill out and send a certicard to CARB, I had to fill some chit out, the cat has to be welded in or it won't pass visual. Also, if you leave your truck out overnight in the wrong part of town, your cat will most likely be gone by morning, they fetch big $$$$ here at recyling centers

Any decent muffler shop should be able to get a hold of what you need, the guy at my shop said that all CA legal cats are the same so get a Catco since it's the cheapest.

Walker:
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/products/converter_calcat_catalytic.asp

Catco:
http://www.catcoglobal.com/part-search-ca.html

Magnaflow:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/02california.asp

·
Registered
113 Posts
Junk yard and buy an OEM one?
totally illegal here in CA, the JY's brutally pinch em off and usually damage most of the exhaust system in the process. They recycle them because they can't sell them and they have higher content of precious metals

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
No, and this is neither new nor a change to the law. It's simply enforcement of existing law. CARB is feeling its oats after all the recent enforcement activity and is now able to tap into BAR as a means of outreach - and enforcement. What's that mean?

If it didn't ship with it from the factory and it touches any part of the emissions system as a whole and does not have an Aftermarket Parts Exemption, it's illegal. End of list.

"But it's just like factory ..."
"That's not fair."
"They can't ..."

All irrelevant statements. Removal, modification or improper installation of a "pollution control device," is a violation of California Vehicle Code Section 27156, an obscure law that nobody but ARB cares about, but they're enough all by themselves. The fines are non-negotiable - and they extend to the vehicle owner, the manufacturer of the improperly installed device and the individual who installed (or otherwise modified) the device.

I spoke to the manager of ARB's Aftermarket Parts Section yesterday and will be happy to pass along her contact information if anyone cares. ARB does have a parts lookup page, too, so anyone can see for themselves what is LEGALLY available for their application. It's posted on their website.

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
what if i put mine on before the law passed. I passed last time i smogged but im worried that they are gonna bust me on my hi-flow with the new law.

Doesnt it only apply to modifications after the law?
Your vehicle is currently illegal unless that high-flow cat has a CARB Executive Order number on it that covers your application. You may pass the smog, but if you do, it will be because your smog guy doesn't give a rat's ass (or is a blithering idiot). The new BAR and ARB restrictions on the smog check technicians make it financially crippling to break rules.

He may pass your truck, but be prepared to find a new guy for next year if they catch him doing that.

Ditch the high flow for something with an E.O. if you're concerned about passing... or just give it a shot & see if they say anything.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
order one in, buy from one of us - once its installed I don't see the problem - its factory.
You'd have to be prepared to weld it in yourself. It's illegal in CA for shops to install a cat unless replacing with new CARB one, existing cat has to be damaged or known bad for them to legally be able to put one in, I don't even think they can put one in any vehicle less than 5yr old unless specifically requested to do so by a smog repair shop. It's pretty bad here in CA, and our cats are like 5x more expensive than anywhere else

·
Registered
113 Posts
what if i put mine on before the law passed. I passed last time i smogged but im worried that they are gonna bust me on my hi-flow with the new law.

Doesnt it only apply to modifications after the law?
All hi-flow cats are illegal in CA, can't buy em because they're illegal to sell in CA, plus they won't ship to CA address, and it's illegal for any shop to install them. You might pass visual, but probably won't pass NOX, at least that's the problem I had using a magnaflow hi-flow cat that was less than a year old, tried everything cleaned whole upper intake, throttle body, new O2 sensor, complete tune to stock specs, I got close to passing but ultimately didn't pass until I replaced the hi-flow cat with new 3way catco one

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
I just wrote this on a different forum not knowing this post was available, sorry but I managed to read thru a lot of it so can I go to a single hi flow CAT replacement or not...?

If not then what does everybody recommend for me I need to keep the price down, I'm already $500.00 out of pocket so far trying to get my 86 smogged/passed since Sept....PITA calismognazibastards

These CATS have been on since I bought the BKO 10 years ago and they've probably been on longer then that, easily 200K or more I'm thinking.....

Calling on all 1986 Bronco California catalytic converter experts.....:rockon

I talked to a Cali Bureau of Automotive Repair tech yesterday for about 40 minutes and he had all my smog test results to analize where he concluded that it's most likely the CATS that are causing the smog failures which probably have easily over 200K now so I'm considering replacing the CATS.

I looked at my 2 CATS yesterday and I need to know how they come apart, my Y pipe goes into the front of the larger CAT so does the Y pipe there come apart from the CAT in the front or do I have to replace the Y & CATS together. The pipe behind the front CAT looks like a Pythons body, wide and with an odd curve to it which goes into the front of the second smaller CAT that attaches to the rest of the exhaust to the muffler and tailpipe out the back.

O'Reillys has the 2 CATS I need for $248.00 out the door but I'm not sure I'm capable of doing it myself based on the design.

Anybody have any answers I would greatly appreciate it, I'm going to shop around for prices for indvidual parts and muffler shop prices for the complete job and see what I can come up with, this is going to cost me a lot more dollars more then I anticipated as I don't think I can do this job myself, I was hoping to section in the new CATS using a sawall but it has to be done right and it's not looking that way soooooooooo.

Thanks ~ :thumbup

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
As I mentioned in post ^ #58 I have two CATS, and I see a possible design problem for me because I'm not sure if the Y pipes come out of the front of the first CAT or not....so it appears it might not be that simple. In addition the larger CAT off the Y pipe also has a skinny tube that comes down off the Air Bypass valve which has a check valve and then bends like an L shape that goes on a nipple/tube with a strange clamp to the first cat and that definatley has to be saved without damage...$$$$$

I just talked to another BAR rep who's looking into my complaint regarding the Star approved smog & repair issue and it looks like I'll get my refund for the redundant smog test BUT he did say that some single hi flow CATS can be legal as long as they're BART approved so if anybody knows about this let me know.

Mean time I'll be looking at everything here, including all links provided to see what's the best way to get this done for the least amount of money....:doh0715:

Thanks ~ :thumbup

41 - 60 of 78 Posts