Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
--------------
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I came across this today.
Being as there are some really "Computer Savvy" folk around here,
I figure talking about this for a minute is waaay better than hurling insults & arguing politics...

Personally, I Like my Privacy and do not need some "Jamoke" sharing my business
without my explicit permission (and then there is the whole "Big Brother" thing).

What do you think about this article / direction / ramifications?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/california-is-rewriting-the-rules-of-the-internet-and-businesses-are-scrambling-to-keep-up/ar-BBYmtMc?ocid=spartandhp

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hmmm.... Seems to be the only law out of California I can agree with. I don't fully understand it, but it at least sheds light on what these Internet sites are doing with our data- see how it works out, but seems like a good idea

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
708 Posts
Personally I think it should be federal law, except they should require a user to give permissions in 3 separate forms of clicking ...yes, I agree, and you have my express permission to sell my info.... not require you to “Opt out” or make your cell phone carrier or internet provide tag your ip with the do not collect info.

·
Premium Member
'95 XLT: 5.8/MAF/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5x15's
35,186 Posts
While I love the idea and think it's long since past due... I do have concerns. There are a lot of services out there now that require you to allow them to access your bank account for auto-pay. I do not allow that type of access to my bank account after having had problems getting companies out of my accounts in the past. That means there are some services I have resigned myself to doing without because of those policies.
My concerns with this type of law run parallel in that, if I choose not to be tracked or participate... how many internet services will I be blocked out of?

I still use a very old, very lame cell phone... because I refuse to join in on the raping and pillaging of my personal information, tracking, data use, etc. I would love to see similar privacy maintaining practices across the board and I would hope that eventually these practices would be expanded to include our internet accessing devices. I'd love to have one of the fancy new phones but until I can be assured of my right to privacy being maintained, I won't upgrade. Breaking the thing as I drag it along with my daily, is another concern but not really related here.

I've been saying for a little while now... capitalism can't really work when the people are no longer the consumer but merely the product. The recent "downgrade" change of our forums format and the blatant disregards for our opinions on the matter drove this concern home with a big hammer. When companies have no regard for the traditional consumer because they make there money selling our data to other companies, our options for choice to control the market are severely limited. How does capitalism work when companies are pandering to each other, rather than those that have traditionally controlled the market?

Anyway, it's a lot to consider and discuss but I'm very happy to see this and I just hope, as with so many other legislative ideas, they don't end up twisting this up to become the opposite of what it sounds like it should be.

Good stuff Dragon. Thanks for sharing and congrats. Cali might be on the right track... at least in this matter.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've been saying for a little while now... capitalism can't really work when the people are no longer the consumer but merely the product. The recent "downgrade" change of our forums format and the blatant disregards for our opinions on the matter drove this concern home with a big hammer. When companies have no regard for the traditional consumer because they make there money selling our data to other companies, our options for choice to control the market are severely limited. How does capitalism work when companies are pandering to each other, rather than those that have traditionally controlled the market?
That is quite profound @BikerPepe... What does happen when the "act of selling" becomes more valuable than the actual sale?

...and it's not just your online activity that is up for sale. Virginia gladly sells your voter registration/participation information.

Your insurance company and healthcare providers sell "aggregate" data - how safe is your personal medical information? We all glossed over Equifax's breach. Do I feel safe with the likes of Google et al digging through doctor's records? Ah, no... How does one opt out of that!?!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Well... This can go in so many different and dark directions regulation of some sort is absolutely needed... Exactly WHO gets to regulate is an entire other can of worms...

Internet privacy and security should be the utmost priority for the individual. Nobody's data aside of an ip address (maybe) should be collected. The information these companies can write programs to collect your personal data is immense... And who regulates what data they can mine about you?...your ssi#, bank info, dl#, birthday, online accounts, credit and credit card info, your mortgage or car loans... Everything is just a click or an algorithm away for the savvy programmer. And even if there are regs saying they can't take such personal info who's checking to make sure they aren't?

I feel internet advertising should be very much like television advertising... Businesses buy blocks of advertising time and you're shown the "commercial' whether it's something u like, want, need or not... If u want more relevant ads then u have the right to opt in and have a minimal amount of anonymous data collected.

It becomes more obvious every day exactly how much these internet companies are "listening" to your private conversations. Had a call last week with a mortgage broker and today she was listed on my Facebook's "people u may know". I never googled her or texted her, just 1 phone call and exactly how did FB know unless they were listening? Just like Google... Hubby and i had a conservation about something, an hour or so later he went to Google something, started typing in the search and the fist suggestion was the thing we were just talking about... So much for only tracking searches or websites visited. Now i know why Google is an almost trillion dollar industry. What private info like ssi, bank, medical, gun owners, etc are they mining and who are they selling it to? We have a right to know and a right to some of the money they make off our internet use.

·
Registered
551 Posts
We have a right to know and a right to some of the money they make off our internet use.
Interesting you mention monetary value... my nephew and I were discussing commercial DNA testing and the DOD’s recent recommendation that service members NOT use them, when he mentioned Google values you at something like $12.00...

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
When u take that $12 and multiply it by every internet user that's a pretty penny... THAT'S what we should be getting a share of...

·
Premium Member
35,186 Posts
I just read a few weeks back... Roomba, or whatever those little automated vacuum machines are called... they make a digital map of the layout of your home. Makes sense, right? Now days, they connect to back to corporate through the internet for updates but what they don't directly tell you is they also upload that layout map of your home to the main office, where it's mined for relevant data and sold to other companies... and those could range from harmless home furnishing businesses to more potentially nefarious interested parties.

I've heard way too many stories about Google and Facebook info showing up after someone had a private conversation about a given topic, waaay too many. That's just some straight up spooky sh!t, I don't care who you are. Siri, Alexa, Google assistant, etc. are ALL, ALWAYS LISTENING.

I'm still shocked at the stupidity of some people. When I was down in Vancouver to pick up my sister, I was visiting my Brother when I pulled out my antiquated cell phone to check a text. His stalker chick nearly flipped her wig and started nagging on my Brother how he should give me one of his old phones because mine was so pathetically old and incapable. Now mind you... I can't stand this stalker chick anyway, so you can imagine the disdain in my voice as I told her "You don't get to touch my damn phone! I keep this lame ass old phone for a reason. It does everything I need and nothing I don't want. If you wanna walk around with your phone listening in on every conversation you have and tracking where you go and what you do everyday, all day and night... that's your choice but you keep your clammy dick-beaters to yourself!" You'd have thought I just jumped out of the closet wearing a tin-foil suite by the way she looked at me. She had no idea. She was convinced and happy to start arguing with me that her phone was only listening when she spoke to it... until I questioned her further... "So, if it's not listening to you all the time but you don't push a button or anything to turn it on, how does it hear you when you speak it's name?" She mentally melted into a hairy puddle of make-up and goo at that point.

Some people still think that they're just a spec in a mountain of indecipherable data collection and that the sheer mass of information provides them annonymity but that's completely ignorant of the way computer systems work. It's a computerized data base that takes seconds to string together millions of otherwise unconnected data points from all kinds of different sources within seconds, maybe minutes... with a simple search query and all they need is to collect the data together in any accessible way. Just imagine for a minute what all the unrelated data you've amassed over the last decade all equals up too? Do you think that's a fair representation of who you are as a person? Is that how you want to world to see you? How would you like explaining that impression of you to your wife, your children, your parents, your employer... or a judge?

Alright... enough with the paranoid sh!t but it is kinda freaky when you begin to realize that what we used to laugh at and make fun of as crazy people's paranoia is today's reality, in too many cases and the horrifying realization that what we, as a society used to covet and protect, we now surrender in seconds for the sake of a little convenience.

I'm not nearly intelligent enough to get into an in depth discussion on the previously mentioned concern about the effects of all this on our capitalistic system but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know there's something to be considered, at the very least.

Sorry. I type too much for you folks to read all this crap on your tiny little screens.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well, I just saw on the local news a couple of days ago where they were using a recorded conversation from one of those home things that can turn on lights, heat etc. After a domestic incident that involved a homicide they found that the entire event was recorded on the device which I believe was one of those giggle things. I have two flip phones. My wife and my work keep threatening to take them and I just keep picking up new batteries and used phones and stashing them. When one starts getting iffy I just transfer to the next.

Swamp

·
--------------
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to just drop a Link on ya'll and run,
Monday mornings are very busy for me.

Cyber Stuff just freaks me out,
My lil' missus keeps telling me about
her phone being hacked repeatedly (by a cheap @$$ neighbor),
Russia going to disconnect from the Internet,
now this cali vs internet
and that spy link
then that whole voter & health info thing...

Although while i was researching the
Russian internet disconnect story
I actually had a "Pop Up" appear from
the Guardian website asking if
I wanted to "Opt-Out" on advertising & cookies.
(Why Yes - Yes I Did)

So if cali passes that law,
what about the rest of the states And / or feds?

·
Premium Member
35,186 Posts
Beyond the crazy conspiracy stuff... most of us don't know jack squat about what's really going on.
I did watch a Glenn Beck interview with a Tech reporter guy on AI & 5G. Some very interesting stuff, some super spooky sh!t too.

·
--------------
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right?
Kinda figured "crazy conspiracy" had sumthin' to do with it,
the whole thing can be somewhat overwhelming at times.

These days (since Dec 2007)
I'm so far behind "the curve" the back end of it looks to be wayyyyy off in the distance.

I still wonder about 49 more States & Fed involvement tho'

·
Super Moderator
14,526 Posts
Use whichever cliche you prefer, the horse is out of the barn, or we've opened pandoras box..Bottom line is once your information is on the internet it ceases to become private..The only way to truly way to guarantee the safety of your information is to get off the interwebs (not realistic for most people) and even that probably won't help since almost everything is stored electronically now.. It's the unfortunate price we pay for living in the digital age.

·
--------------
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Too True @jermil01

So,
What do you think about Cali trying to help control the
Acquisition, Sharing & Sales of our data?

(Even tho pepe` just played the "AI & 5G" card)... LoL

·
Premium Member
35,186 Posts
These days (since Dec 2007)
I'm so far behind "the curve" the back end of it looks to be wayyyyy off in the distance.
I'm with ya there buddy... and how! When I first found MyBigBronco.com (that birthed F.S.B., 17 some yrs ago) I was between calls, working for Microsoft, doing and eventually managing OS Tech Support. For awhile after that I managed a company office writing and testing applications code, graphics design and hosting servers (what people call "the cloud" now) for inventory tracking and related tasks for some big box businesses (Longs Drug, Jamba Juice, etc.). At one point, we had already developed a smooth working code merger the big boys were still struggling with.

These days, my phone gets me laughed at in public. I was on the bleeding edge but when I dropped out... I dropped way out.

·
Super Moderator
14,526 Posts
Too True @jermil01

So,
What do you think about Cali trying to help control the
Acquisition, Sharing & Sales of our data?

(Even tho pepe` just played the "AI & 5G" card)... LoL
I'm not opposed to it, but I feel like it's an exercise in futility..most companies already have policies stating they will not sell your information to 3rd parties..whether they abide by that or not is an entirely different matter and I'm not sure how it could even be policed..on the other hand, take any of the "free" social media platforms, facebook, snaptchat, instagram, et al, people are willingly giving them all kinds of personal information without a second thought. The population at large is for the most part completely oblivious to what happens with their data on these site, and in most cases you're pretty much forgoing any "privacy" because they're free services..I'll leave it at this, forget personal info, the amount of data theses platforms are gathering about your habits/behaviors is worth 10 times more to them.

Sadly most people would sacrifice convenience of Alex then their privacy..no thank you.

·
Premium Member
35,186 Posts
Just heard last night, WA has similar legislation moving through the system to protect privacy and have some say what's done with our own info. We'll see how it comes out but it's one of the few things I've seen happening in WA legislation that I can be happy with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts