Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys my mileage is adding up pretty fast these days, and im pretty close to 155,000 pretty soon i will hit 160k! anyways it appears that the first major thing to go will be the wonderfull E40D tranny that was a pos from 89 till about 94, i have been doing some research and have come to the conclusuon that the 4R100 transmission that appears in the new ford trucks with the 5.4 is an updated version of the E40D that was infamous in the 89-96 model years. so my question is will the new version of the E4OD ,the 4R100, bolt up to my 351W? meaning that i could get one out of a low mileage 150, or should i just get a built up E4OD from a reman company. i found one that rebuilds the e40d for $1895.00 for the heavy duty versions and about $1595.00 for a factory type. there is also a performance version that is $1795.00. thanks in advance

btw here is the reman company's site http://www.powerdemon.com/Ford_Muscle_Car.html
the good thing is they are in houston

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
That's a good question. I'm sure that if it doesn't, that an adapter is available. How much does one of those run? It may be more worth your while to rebuild the E4OD, and strengthen it too. Just my thoughts.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
After thinking about it, no, they shouldn't bolt up. It's a completely different block. I'm gonna search for the adapters website for you though.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the 4r100 is 100 dollars more for every level meaning the built up heavy duty version of the E4OD is $1895.00 where as the built up heavy duty 4R100 is $1995.00.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awsome links, thanks man. the site says that ford changed the name of the E4OD to 4R100 in 99, but im still unsure of the compatiblity between the two generations.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The transmissions are one in the same indeed. However hooking up the later version to an old school 351W I dunno about. What I do know about is that when the 5.4L first came out and Enduro Racing put it in their race truck...they stuck the E4OD version behind it for reliability for the first season. So I would imagine the swap would work vice versa.

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
is that the same tranny they put behind powerstroke SDs as well. (4 speed one!) If so im a believer. Any tranny that can pull 25K for 50,000 miles and only lose 3rd cuz retards put it in drive instead of second for towing that weight at 20.

·
0 Posts
^^ yeah i have one in my 7.3 PSD Excursion.

BUt, back the point at hand.

The stock converters are your weak point. Either method you take get a better converter. The E4OD can be a sturdy bad ass tranny if built up.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,796 Posts
I would go to one of the mustang forums and ask in there. they may know. i believe it has the same pattern as the 4.6l .

good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts