Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a major oil leak from the rear of my motor so I tore the pan off to change the rear main seal and found this in the pan as I was cleaning it out. looks like a thrust washer to me possibly but it has oil preassure and doesn't rattel so Im not sure. I also dont know where it would be in the assembly? Im working on a 460 by the way.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Since I am in fact not an engine guru, let me be the first to say it looks like a spacer of some sort. I would look at the crank, either end first. I will assume you left the oil pan off until you can determine what this actually is, right?
It couldn't be a piston ring...could it?

G

·
I was first thinking part of the thrust bearing, but it doesn't look like it broke off the inside edge.
So next guess, the thrust bearing that goes behind the timing gear on the camshaft? That would be my vote.

If it was a complete circle what do you suppose the diameter would be?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
You can tell quite clearly in the first pick.

They call that a toothpick. :toothless

Glad I could help.

Ok, I really dont know what it is. If it was a Windser I would say it is the cam thrust plate. But I dont know on a 460.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Traveler said:
the thrust bearing that goes behind the timing gear on the camshaft? That would be my vote.
Mine too:thumbup

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
Yeah, definitely a cam thrust plate chunk. I'm more interested in how it got there. Probably a manufacturing defect in the piece, but I can see how the engine would be fine with that large of a chunk of it missing. There really isn't much, in fact almost none is existant, in the way of longitudinal forces working on the camshaft.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gacknar said:
You can tell quite clearly in the first pick.

They call that a toothpick. :toothless

Glad I could help.
i agree, its a toothpick :toothless

odd that a cam thrust plate would break, i'd pull the timing cover and make sure your cam endplay isn't way to excessive, plus replace the thrust plate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.