Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
going to start collecting parts for my 95BKO 351w build
i'm wondering/hoping one of you have used one of these cams and can steer me in the right direction...
a friend of mine put a comp cam 35-512-8 in his 351w w/mass and likes it but i called comp cams for a recommendation and they suggested the 35-349-8 for me.
do any of you run either of these?
i believe its all in my info but for the sake of it...it's a 351w with fresh gt40 heads, bbk shorty headers, mass air, A9L eec, stock throttle body and stock intake manifold, 2.25" exhaust into a 3" megaflow muffler and a single 3" out the pass side. i have a ZF5 trans, 3.55 gears and 33" tires. offroad 10% of the time and highway 90% ...
i did search the cam numbers but have not found anyone that has commented on how they like it
thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
35-349-8 specs
Advertised Duration
264 int./270 exh.
Advertised Exhaust Duration
Advertised Intake Duration
Basic Operating RPM Range
1,500-5,500
Cam Style
Hydraulic roller tappet
Computer-Controlled Compatible
Yes
Duration at 050 inch Lift
212 int./218 exh.
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.512 in.
Grind Number
FW XE264HR-14
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.512 in.
Lobe Separation (degrees)
Quantity
Sold individually.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.512 int./0.512 exh.
Valve Springs Required
Yes

35-512-8 specs
Advertised Duration
258 int./264 exh.
Advertised Exhaust Duration
Advertised Intake Duration
Cam Style
Hydraulic roller tappet
Computer-Controlled Compatible
Yes
Duration at 050 inch Lift
206 int./212 exh.
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.480 in.
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.480 in.
Lobe Separation (degrees)
Quantity
Sold individually.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.480 int./0.480 exh.
Valve Springs Required
Yes

·
Registered
313 Posts
35-349-8 specs looks better than 35-512-8 specs. 35-512-8 specs does not look much over stock.

Are the GT-40 heads ported or have larger valves?

I have heard the factory intake is a serious choke point on the EFI motors, may consider going after market.

Exhaust sounds good and open.

Any work on the bottom end?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,089 Posts
I have the 349-8 cam in mine and like it, good power everywhere in my build, I would daily drive mine if I needed to and it was finished. I Do only have 370 miles on the new combo though.
However you may not need the extra lift with the heads and intake you say you are going to run, or rather may not work as good. I would also be sure to look up what lift the gt40 parts will take. I think you maybe over or close to the limits of the stock valve springs, if that is what is on them. If that's the case and you don't want to buy valve springs it may limit your selection a bit.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
George, they are just stock gt40 heads that have had a fresh 3 angle valve job, the valves are however bigger that the stock heads that came on the 351. i put some aftermarket springs in it that claim this...
1.460" Outside Diameter
.980" Inside Diameter
120 Lbs @ 1.780" Valve Closed Installed Height (measurements required)
280 Lbs @ .500" Lift
310 Lbs @ .580" Lift
No spring seat machining required
just stock intake right now but as $$ allows will prob get an edelbrock for it.
the bottom end is just being freshened up, cranks polished and within tolerances with new bearings everywhere.

Crazy bronco, Thanks for your info...i like hearing from people that are actually using something to see how they like it! i have 1.6 roller rockers on the gt40's so the springs i got should handle it with no prob?!
i did see a spacer on BC Bronco that claims i can use the stock 351 lower and use a 5.0 mustang upper on it, not sure if that would be worth the trouble or not tho...

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the xe264 in my build too. I just fired it up for the first time Sunday but based on initial impressions power seems to be everywhere nice smooth idle I'd recommend it. My combo is 351 swap into a 302 truck using its mass air setup edelbrock block performer heads edelbrock truck intake comp roller rockers xe264 cam bbk throttle body I rebuilt the bottom end mostly stock and lightning mass air sensor ev6 30lb injectors and a tweecer tune.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,089 Posts
The adapter does not fix the restrictive lower, id just run what you got until you can get a whole intake weather its the performer truck or one setup for a stang. I have no idea on the valve springs on what is needed there. I have AFR heads which have dual springs good for .600 lift at 6300 rpm the info for them says 135 lbs on the seat. More then likely you will be fine as I doubt you will be turning 6k rpm a lot if at all.

If you by chance have driven a 7.5L efi truck thats stockish, I would say the power is like that off idle but keeps pulling were those fall on their face around 4k rpm or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts