Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. as some of you know i put a roller 5.0 non H.O. in my bronco from an 88 town car. i was just wondering if the cams are different thsn my stock '90 FSB. i have no issues just curious. im pretty sure the heads are different cuz the plugs from my broncos engine were too short. thanks all sorry if i should have put this in the newbie section.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Yes, the cams are different. you're bronco did not come with a roller cam. if you're using you're broncos stock distributor be SURE to change out the gear on the distributor to a steel gear. if you don't, the iron gear (for a flat tappet cam) will destroy itself on the steel gear of the roller cam in a few hundred miles or less. also this will put metal shavings into the engine which destroy more things.

also the roller cam has a slightly more aggressive profile than a flat tappet, so it's better. (thats why they switched to rollers)

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
You won't notice a bit of difference. Hours of work for no return.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i have been using that distributor gear for at least 9000km so potential oh oh:doh0715: but i just did the swap because i needed an engine i was just thinking there would be a significant difference between a truck and a car cam thanks all

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I did not think the lincoln town car motor was roller? I always thought the town car had the crummy E6 high swirl heads and a flat tappet cam....

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
If you are running a steel roller cam with an Iron dizzy gear (For an Iron Flat Tappet Cam) the steel cam will eat the iron dizzy gear. It may take a few hundred, your a few thousand miles, but it WILL happen.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shat i better get on that:banghead i wonder if i can get at the local parts store? im short on the dollar units so i cannot afford repair just maintenance ty for the important info:thumbup its kind of sad how i almost dont care about the 302 anymore but work with what u have

*edit*
so the steel gears are about $40 and aluminum/bronze(which i assume is not what i want it would seem softer so idk why they are more) are $70. guess i better get on that

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
shat i better get on that:banghead i wonder if i can get at the local parts store? im short on the dollar units so i cannot afford repair just maintenance ty for the important info:thumbup its kind of sad how i almost dont care about the 302 anymore but work with what u have

*edit*
so the steel gears are about $40 and aluminum/bronze(which i assume is not what i want it would seem softer so idk why they are more) are $70. guess i better get on that

look up the replacment dizzy gear for the donor car that the engine came from. that way you know for sure you get the correct one. also you may want to make sure the bore inside the gear is the same as the shaft size on the bronco's distributor. just be absolutely sure you have the correct gear for the cam.

the bronze gear is safer, but it has a lifespan and should be replaced after about 20k miles.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they are the same part number with .531" shaft diameter. im just going with a steel one i should probably pull mine out and check it out is there an easy way to differantiate between an iron and steel one by lookin at it?

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
if it's the same part number, then maybe the cam is not roller... be SURE you have the right gear for the cam.. SURE SURE SURE.... a steel gear on a flat tappet cam will destroy the cam.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

this is the motor i put in the truck

and this is the one that came out

there were several options for gears but the steel gears share the same part number

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
damn my only way to get around and i dont have money i guess i can pull it out and lookk for any damage. maybe i can get one for my birthday on saturday lol.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
if it's the same part number, then maybe the cam is not roller... be SURE you have the right gear for the cam.. SURE SURE SURE.... a steel gear on a flat tappet cam will destroy the cam.
All the Cardone EEC-IV distributors with TFI mounts come with Iron gears. The instructions tell you to change the gear for your old one if you have a steel gear.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Ford Racing has a pretty decent steel gear at an affordable price. Made in USA, fits perfectly.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i pulled my dizzy today and the gear looks good to me but what should i be looking for? if i get some time i can take a pic of it and post it.

Gos is up for june FOTM everyone please vote for him and spread the word:thumbup:rockon

1 - 20 of 26 Posts