Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know I've been building a 393 stroker (actually 395 cubes if you want to be picky) Anyway, I'm gonna be ordering the cam next week and I am prettymuch confused about what cam i need to get....so heres what I've come up with so far...

From my own research i found this comp cam: http://www.powerandperformancenews.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=35-514-8&Category_Code=
The specs can be found in the link. Desktop Dyno claims 515ft/lbs @2500 and 465hp @5000. Which would be great, i understand that DD is not the gospel thou.

The guy i bought my cylinder heads from...who seemed to be very knowledgeable about smallblock ford engines suggested this cam: http://www.powerandperformancenews.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=35-522-8&Category_Code=
he admitted that it probably wasn't a good truck cam...anyway...the numbers in DD with it are...500ft/lbs @5000 and 498 @ 6000. So that prettymuch sounds like a car cam....not that thrilled about it, but it was prettymuch the numbers he said it would make.

The motor im building is a 395 stroker: .040 over, 351w roller block, 10.5:1 comperssion, AFR 185s with spring upgrade, 1.6rr, Long tube headers, Edelbrock performer RPM(dual plane) intake, Holley street avenger 670cfm carb. Crane ign. box, new dist.
Its goin in my bronco, which right now is auto trans, 32s, 3.50 gears, carb...next year i will be changing to 36's, 4.56s(maybe 4.88s), a zf5spd, and aftermarket fuel injection. Of course i want this thing to be streetable, no vaccum problems, not an overly aggresive idle, run on premium(i know the 10.5 is pushin it).

What im completly lost on is how to pick the cam i need. I want one that will work with the future plans of my bronco, and when i switch to fuel injection. Basically i've just been lookin up cam specs and punching them into desktop dyno. I know this isn't the most accurate thing to do, but its the only way i know to get any kind of numbers. Can anyone here who has done a similar build make any suggestions, or explain to me how to "pick" a cam. If i need to give any more info just let me know

Thanks
Josh

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
oh crap...posted in the wrong forum....this should go in the tech help section....sorry....could someone move it?

ok, i just reposted it...someone can delete this if they want

1 - 2 of 2 Posts