Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this probably has been covered a few times, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for. I am currently in school and just finished engine stuff and learned a bit more bout cams and cam timing. First off, I have a 1990 460 MPFI w/ the SD set up :)barf) Anywho, i knmow that cams are extremely limited for SD and only know of 1 for the 460, maybe 2 cause there is a Lunati Cam that says it is compatible. but anyway, my question is that can i use one of the Comp. compatible cams in my 460 and change the timing set to an adjustable one and advance the timeing by say 3* or so? and still keep it in the computer peramiters to not freak it out, but still gain some power? In November there is student drag day here and I want to try and 1-up some honda fags, but dont want to do too much and have the bronco down for a long time. So anythign along those lines would help too. Thanks!

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Can you post links to the specifications of the camshafts you're thinking of using?

FWIW, I wouldn't even think about changing the camshaft or its timing if the engine still has factory cylinder heads, intake, and/or exhaust. Even then, tuning will be required to compensate for the flow disparity. Remember that the PCM is programmed with a good estimate of air mass flowing into the engine -- relative to intake manifold pressure and engine speed -- and not a direct measurement as in MAF.

If you've got until November, I'd save up for some damn good cylinder heads, intake, and exhaust headers. Then convert to MAF and get hardware to tune it.

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you post links to the specifications of the camshafts you're thinking of using?

FWIW, I wouldn't even think about changing the camshaft or its timing if the engine still has factory cylinder heads, intake, and/or exhaust. Even then, tuning will be required to compensate for the flow disparity. Remember that the PCM is programmed with a good estimate of air mass flowing into the engine -- relative to intake manifold pressure and engine speed -- and not a direct measurement as in MAF.

If you've got until November, I'd save up for some damn good cylinder heads, intake, and exhaust headers. Then convert to MAF and get hardware to tune it.
I will check Summit and see if I can get the cam to pull up, I was looking at it in a Summit Magazine the other day and said it was compatible up till 97 for the 460's. THat is the Lunati one. And the other i mentioned was in the EFI cam thread. Exhaust is full 3 in and intake has been modified w/ K&N ghetto intake and my restriction tubes taken out. I was thinking bout having the heads port and polished and slightly bigger valves, would that help if and when i did the cam? I also know of needing MAF for any upgrades, but I was trying to see what the stock perameters allowed so maybe I could get away with a little bit better cam and some small cam timing. I dont have to do the timing if I can get away with the cam alone and get a lil more outta stock. I am kinda on a slim budget so just looking for little ways to upgrade here and there.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Porting and polishing factory heads isn't worth the time or effort, especially since this is a low-speed torquey truck engine. Putting in a different camshaft will seriously change the "attitude" of the engine, and will virtually guarantee the loss of low-end torque.

I'd save my money for now. This way, when you have the funds for serious modifications like cylinder heads and an intake manifold, they will truly make a difference.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
A 180 deg high flow thermostat, set initial timing to 12, and an adjustable FPR should wake it up. I did that with my EFI 460 (Now lurking on a stand in the garage) and it helped me blow up an E4OD. F3TE heads flow better, but my E7TE's are freshly rebuilt so I haven't tried the F3's. I have seen the one cam Comp makes for these motors in action and it was decent and it didn't throw any codes. I might stick one of them in my motor. That's about the end of practical things I know you can do for these motors. Forget the IAT resistor BS, I've seen that make the ECU pissed off and run bad.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you got your mind set on a cam, go to
www.camshaftinnovations.com and
contact Jay Allen and see what he
recommends in an off-the-shelf grind
with the mods that you have planned...

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A 180 deg high flow thermostat, set initial timing to 12, and an adjustable FPR should wake it up. I did that with my EFI 460 (Now lurking on a stand in the garage) and it helped me blow up an E4OD. F3TE heads flow better, but my E7TE's are freshly rebuilt so I haven't tried the F3's. I have seen the one cam Comp makes for these motors in action and it was decent and it didn't throw any codes. I might stick one of them in my motor. That's about the end of practical things I know you can do for these motors. Forget the IAT resistor BS, I've seen that make the ECU pissed off and run bad.
Hmmm. So overall how did it feel? worth it? I mean I dont want to sink money in and get minimal gains. I know I am asking for a lot, but I want alot of bang for my buck you know? what year did the F3's come one? and computer compatable enough to not through codes? I likie the Lunati but need to comnpare it to the comp cams computer one and see any differences.

If you got your mind set on a cam, go to
www.camshaftinnovations.com and
contact Jay Allen and see what he
recommends in an off-the-shelf grind
with the mods that you have planned...
I will have to check them out when i get a little more time.

I got a friend of mine looking for a Mustang MAF harness for me, so hopefully I can score one for good money and get the tuning stuff too. That way I can really wake it up with upgrades. But all depends on this time and money thing! Well keep the ideas coming.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Hmmm. So overall how did it feel? worth it? I mean I dont want to sink money in and get minimal gains. I know I am asking for a lot, but I want alot of bang for my buck you know? what year did the F3's come one? and computer compatable enough to not through codes? I likie the Lunati but need to comnpare it to the comp cams computer one and see any differences.

I will have to check them out when i get a little more time.

I got a friend of mine looking for a Mustang MAF harness for me, so hopefully I can score one for good money and get the tuning stuff too. That way I can really wake it up with upgrades. But all depends on this time and money thing! Well keep the ideas coming.
F3 heads were 93-96. The gain wouldn't be worth the swap on a SD motor. If you really want the bang for the buck get yourself a HEI distributor for a 460 and a carb adapter + carburetor. Then you can run whatever camshaft you can afford.

·
Ford Tatted On My Chest
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
F3 heads were 93-96. The gain wouldn't be worth the swap on a SD motor. If you really want the bang for the buck get yourself a HEI distributor for a 460 and a carb adapter + carburetor. Then you can run whatever camshaft you can afford.
Ya, but I like my FI though.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
You mentioned downtime being a factor, a concern with cost, and now wanting to keep efi. The practical/inexpensive/easy stuff has been covered. You might try those things and see how you want to proceed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts