Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best way to paint a truck camo? i got the base color on already(olive army green) but i dunno how i should put the other colors on? should i take a piece of cardboard and cut out a design then paint the desing on or is there a better way? im going with the olive green and a army tan with some black
the base turned out good ill get pics after i finsih up the fender chop

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Sure, but the end result won't be as effective, visually, as if you'd done it freehand. But then again, using templates, stencils, or what have you, would be more effective, physically - as in, you could almost literally lose your Bronco in the bush

·
No avatar required
10,958 Posts
Try searching, I seem to remember someone posting about this before, and there was actually a pattern. I did my Jeep free hand with Krylon camo, I used black, tan, brown, and OD green. I'll try to scan a pic when I get home.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...see the front fenders and doors need to be chopped still but ill do that after its all painted up

·
Registered
547 Posts
EvilBronc said:
check out this link! It has layouts of spray patterns and paint codes and...http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_camo.php3

I am a retired Army NCO, Every time we repainted the tanks,(abrams!) we used the guide that illustrated the pattern, chalk lined the pattern onto the vehicle and then did paint buy numbers to fill it out. It was preferred to brush it on so you didn't get the sharp edges a stencil leaves.

Look at the patterns on olive drab for the size of vehicle you have to get an idea of the size of the "patches" of color then draw it on. Of course, this is if you want the camo pattern to hide the vehicle. If you are looking for style just follow your whim.

·
Banned
470 Posts
The best camo paint job I've ever seen was on an 80-86 bronco I saw in a small town here in Nebraska a while back. The truck looked just like the clothes you wear when you go hunting with all the brown leaves and sticks.
Must have taken lots of time and work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd freehand it with a pattern drawn on in pencil. A stencil will leave sharp edges and look goofy. The best way I've found is using an airbrush. That's what my dad and I have been using on fiberglass rifle stocks for the past 15 years.

·
Registered
266 Posts
GO-REAL

i painted an old toyota (sad to say :twak ) with an olive base coat and for the pattern i just sprayed over a pecan limb in black brown tan and light grey and it looked damn good. id also add some black "limb" Looking things in the back ground it adds depth and looks better than any cow style paint job ive ever seen

·
Wanna see my
4,448 Posts
Camo is only for the human eye, as animals cant see color (except for birds). True fact, if u want a good camo that hides in the woods really well, spray a few more coats of OD green on it and let it go from there. Take off all the chrome stuff as well. If you dont wanna leave it OD green, then use BIG patterns on it. Big patterns blend together at a distance and turns into a solid color. Whatever u do, be sure and have more OD green than any other color. Black stands out at a distance, especially in the woods and tan, well not to many things is tan in the woods, go with a brown instead of tan. OD green is the best camo out there. But if u want something special, then spend 900 bucks and get the camo kit.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im probably gonna leave it just olive-drab for now and later do some camo cause she looks pretty good
Eddy:toothless

1 - 20 of 25 Posts