Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

The Camo-Pig is a work in progress and here's where i'm putting my directory for all of the extra stuff i'm doing to it.

Here's how it looks as of 07/2015

Here's how it looked back when I I picked up this beauty for about $3,500.

It starts and runs beautifully, every time. It doesn't have any rot rust, just some surface rust. It belonged to a cop and he took it out to his deer lease. So some of the frame and undercarriage has a little play in it.

It's all stock for the most part. It's leaking a little bit from the transfer case

I think the front diff case is leaking too. But it could just be scummy.

I had to get the tail lights working to pass inspection. That just took a little bit of electrickery when I opened up the brake lights and found this fun little mess.

I hate vampire clips almost as much as I hate butt connectors.

So I re soldered them and made them less...terrible.

It works now so I took it to get inspected and wonder of wonders, it passed.

So now I get to get it registered tomorrow as my daily driver.

I bought some new tires for it today but I need to take pictures in the morning. It's too dark now.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been busy over the last few months:

Here's a link to the youtube video that shows some problems i've been dealing with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7QIzLPl4L8

I got the brakes to work, turns out they just needed some time to bed in.

Also here's some how to write ups I did:

Axle Breathers:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370521

Grill Paint:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367594

I'm still struggling with some wiring issues on my drivers side tail light but once I get that sewn up I should be ridding pretty.

Proposed future how to write ups:

Transfer case leak fix.
D60 Front install.:thumbup
10.25 rear install.
4" lift install
Cummins 4BT install:rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
It looks like a nice clean truck to me. I'd say you dun good.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just put the roof back on after some new coats of primer/paint/clear.

I did this to reduce the amount of heat soak from the black paint and it seems to have turned out okay. Some parts of the clear have more shine to them than others, oh well. This truck wasn't pretty to begin with so i'm not too torn up about spotty paint. Either way I think it came out pretty great.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I dropped the pig off at my mechanic to help replace a leaking rear main seal/leaking front transmission pump seal.

I wish I had the time to do it myself, i've always wanted to learn, but I have no time to work on it. So it's off to the shop. We'll see what happens on Monday.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after a few weeks of not having much time to do anything, and my mother passing away I got around to picking up my truck.

The mechanic said that my engine/transmission were not in fact leaking from their respective rear main seal/pump seal. The leaking fluid was coming from my valve cover gaskets. Sure enough, they were leaking from the old cork gaskets.

Here's a link to the thread where I talk about the upgrade. But the long and the short of it is, I replaced the valve cover gaskets with new fel-pro blue gaskets, put a new motorcraft TPS on the throttle body and new gaskets on the upper intake plenum.

Here's some of the highlight shots from the project.

Right now it's doing a great job of leaking less. I'm pretty sure that it's leaking from the back of the lower intake manifold.:histerica

So the progress continues.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sorry about your mom. We are currently dealing with similar leaks with Nathans truck. Turns out it had the wrong oil pan on the whole time and Oreillys swore it was the right one! Hope to see you at our next Bronco meet.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mother's passing.

As for the oil leaks, It aint an oil leak, its just horsepower sweating.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATES!

Okay,

So the work on the truck was able to continue over the last few days. I've been able to take a few days off and tackle some issues.

First off I replaced the shocks on all four corners and DAMN WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The whole truck doesn't feel like it's going to shake apart anymore every time I drive it. All six shocks were complete garbage and I'm pretty sure that they were the shocks that came from the factory. 180,000 miles on one set is not a good way to treat any vehicle. :doh0715:

The next thing I did was replace my worn out steering box. It was so bad you guys! The stock two bolt was just a nightmare on the road and it was just flat out dangerous. I'm not kidding when I say that I had about 8" of slop left and right from center. The box was straight roached. :barf

So I did what any sensible person would do in my position and pulled a replacement from the junk yard! I replaced the stock two bolt with a four bolt steering box from an F-350 and again, it fixed so much of the problem! I can drive down the road now and I don't have to fight the steering to keep going straight. :chili:

Here's a video that I put together of the work.
https://youtu.be/NDlmeTiUF_Q

To finish off the work I replaced all the tie rods and got an alignment. I swear it's like driving a new truck! I'm so happy that I can take this thing anywhere now!:thumbup

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, a few weeks back I made the choice to upgrade from the 302 to the 4.9 big six. I went and found a $500 engine at my favorite salvage yard. I ended up getting this complete 4.9 from a 1994 E-150.

Somehow I managed to cram this thing strapped to a palate into the back of my truck. The guy running the forklift was a pro.

Got it home and un slung from the back of the truck and unwrapped. It looks pretty good!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got a chance to pull apart some of the engine. There's more sludge on the outside of the engine than i've ever seen before. :rofl:

It's coming apart quite well, although it looks like the previous owner didn't bother with a gasket. So i've been pulling raspberries of form-a-gasket out of the intake. Some people man...they don't seem to try. :banghead

But since this whole thing is going to get rebuilt I'm not too worried.

Also pulled out the plugs and they seem to be in strange shape. many of them seem to be ash fouled, like this one.

I'll keep plugging away.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts