Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on running 2.5" duals from long tubes on my 88 Bronco and dumping it before the axle. I have a 3"SI/2.5"DO Flowmaster Super 40 muffler. Can it be installed backwards so I'd have a 2.5" DI and a 3" SO with a turn down? Just thinking of this because I already have the muffler.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Not a good idea. The Blowmaster chambered mufflers like those typically have directional baffles in them, particularly evident in the Delta Flow of theirs.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
not a good idea... They are directional.... either live the it, or buy a new muffler....

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
You can't go wrong, as long as you know what i n spells, you should be good to go

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a 2.5DI-3.0SO muffler, tis a 3.0SI-2.5DO but tis reversible. It was the only one I found that has no baffles in it that would mess up airflow, and from what I saw all Flowmasters have baffles in there, so reversing one will cause some real bad flow and high backpressure. My Muffler is made by Cherry Bomb, is all-welded design, and costs about $90 or so - part #88109, tis the Vortex series, nice and quiet muffler.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts

Look at these. I wouldn't say the flow would be restricted much at all weather they are installed right or backwards. No mater which way its done, the exhaust still has to be forced through it and find its own way out...if you know what I mean. Its not like a straight through muffler...

I'll bet anything even a dyno couldn't tell if it was installed right or not. I don't think it would sound different either.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts

Look at these. I wouldn't say the flow would be restricted much at all weather they are installed right or backwards. No mater which way its done, the exhaust still has to be forced through it and find its own way out...if you know what I mean. Its not like a straight through muffler...

I'll bet anything even a dyno couldn't tell if it was installed right or not. I don't think it would sound different either.
Mike, you don't know what you are talking about. If you install the muffler backwards there will be pockets of turbulance in the peaks of the Vees. In the propper direction there is minimal restriction to flow from the first Vee and the other Vees are pretty much there to create or muffle the sound.

Backwards instalation will create backpressure and restrictions due to all the turbulance created by all the Vees.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not going to attempt to use the muffler backwards. I have a pair of Dynomax Bullets that I'll throw on it. I just like the thoughts of one muffler to secure everything and make it easier to hang. I have the DI/DO Flowmaster on my 94 F150 with a 460. It holds the exhaust together nicely and sounds great.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am not going to attempt to use the muffler backwards. I have a pair of Dynomax Bullets that I'll throw on it. I just like the thoughts of one muffler to secure everything and make it easier to hang. I have the DI/DO Flowmaster on my 94 F150 with a 460. It holds the exhaust together nicely and sounds great.
You do realize those will be real loud, right? By the way, look up Flowmaster's site, IIRC they do make some DI-DO mufflers for RV and big truck applications.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Those big'uns are pretty pricey, though. I looked at a few, and a 2.5-inch DI-DO was like $170 IIRC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts