Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my E4OD and I have scrapped the stock cooling system in favor of a B&M external filter and cooler with a fan. I removed the stock cooler that was in front of the A/C condenser and put the new cooler in. As I was placing the cooler on the front of the truck my roommate noticed the fan was set up to suck air through it (for behind the radiator) instead of blowing air through it. Does anyone know of ANY issues I might have reversing the polarity on the fan to make it blow instead of suck? :wacko

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The fan should be sucking cool air from out in front of the rad in toward the engine. With the help of the fan shroud it can pull a hell of a lot of air through. I am not exactly sure of the stock fans CFM specs for you to compare against a electric fan, but from what I have read if you use the E-fan from the right unit the CFM it pulls is quite high.

After re-reading your post I just wanted to say that what I am saying applies only if the fan is mounted in the original position...inboard of the rad. If your mounting your e-fan out in front of the rad......well I aint sure about that so I aint even going there.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Generally you can reverse the polarity to get the fan to suck rather than blow. However the shape of the blades will determine which way works best.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The blades are designed to suck air through the cooler so it won't be as efficient but should still work.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
It'll work. Funny story. Way back when I put an electric fan on the outside of my radiator on my old fullsize Cherokee to help the tired cooling system out. I wired it backwards. It was fighting the mechanical fan, and essentially created zero airflow across the radiator. It took 10 minutes of wheeling to overheat it. I was bummed, because I had just put the fan on to avoid that. Once I got the polarity right, it worked awesome and I never overheated again.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, now all I have to do is finins the install this weekend.:thumbup

·
Registered
981 Posts
I don't know about your fan, but alot of fan blades are designed so you can flip the blade over to turn and pusher into a puller. Then all you have to do is swap the wires and to changed the polarity.

·
Registered
77 Posts
also think of the design of the shroud around the blades they have a lot to do with push or pull but like b 4 mentioned as long as the polarity isnt a big deal u should be ok

·
Registered
77 Posts
let us know how it turns out no pun intended ive got the same deal goin on with a ranger it has a single 10" puller in it and ive got a double push pull
i need to install the only bad thing is i cant mount it b hind the radiator because of clearance issues
its got a 302 in a ranger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts