Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,700 Posts
Yo John,
Welcome!
I haven't heard of or seen such an installation.
But here is someinfo for you ;
"
Section 01-20B: Restraints, Passive, Supplemental Air Bag System
1996 F-150, F-250, Bronco Workshop Manual​
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
Restraints, Passive — Supplemental Air Bag System (SRS)
NOTE: Ford recommends the use of safety belt systems for all vehicle occupants.

The supplemental air bag restraint system is designed to provide increased accident protection for front seat occupants IN ADDITION TO that provided by the three point safety belt system. Safety belt use is necessary to obtain the best occupant protection and to receive the full advantages of the supplemental air bag restraint system.

Refer to Section 01-20A for information on seat and shoulder belts.

The supplemental air bag restraint system (SRS) consists of:

• Electrical system
  • Driver side air bag module (043B13)
  • Sensors:
    • Primary air bag sensors
    • Safing air bag sensor
  • Air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056)
  • Air bag indicator
  • Tone generator
Supplemental Air Bag Restraint System Component Location

ItemPart NumberDescription
1Air Bag Indicator (Part of Instrument Cluster)
2043B13Driver Side Air Bag Module
314B007Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket
414B056Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor
514401Main Wiring
614B005Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket (LH)
714B004Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket (RH)
8Instrument Panel Wiring Harness (Part of 14401)

Read and see more @ http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjs1kbl.htm

Here's the 1992 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Ford/Bronco/Ford_US Bronco_1992.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to view, due to scammers who preyed on our members ).

See How to add your Signature @ Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum by BigBlue 94

Our Forum FAQs includes for example; How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search and more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) ... includes such as, "Tailgate Window repair & troublehooting".

➡ Try to find time to participate and vote in our current Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription once the article is submitted ; and a years worth of premium FSB membership!

Al

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,064 Posts
To add to miesk's info, the columns, wiring, and wheel/bag can be interchanged with a bit of work, but getting the sensors and computer in place would be the key to making it function. There are some swap threads for putting a non-airbag wheel ('92-93) in later years. Look those up and just reverse engineer the steps.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,126 Posts
Before getting too into a 94-96 airbag, consider that those were about the first airbags ever implemented. They were not as safe or "comfortable" as ones from 10 years later. Many of the "horror stories" you hear about airbags were from this generation of bags.

Ive not had the experience of a 94-96 bag going off, but have credited the one in my 03 Mach 1 with saving my teeth in 2017. T-boned a grand marquis at 65mph. Airbag deployed about halfway between my face and the wheel, and was just barely hot, but didnt leave a burn at all. The bag deployed and contacted my face just as the seat belt locked. I walked away with just a very slight bruise from the shoulder belt and a concussion. Ive had quite a few concussions so they occur much easier.

That being said, I have no clue if a newer airbag could be retrofitted into a 94-96 wheel. Idk much anything about the SRS system in these old fords. None of mine have one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Before getting too into a 94-96 airbag, consider that those were about the first airbags ever implemented. They were not as safe or "comfortable" as ones from 10 years later. Many of the "horror stories" you hear about airbags were from this generation of bags.

Ive not had the experience of a 94-96 bag going off, but have credited the one in my 03 Mach 1 with saving my teeth in 2017. T-boned a grand marquis at 65mph. Airbag deployed about halfway between my face and the wheel, and was just barely hot, but didnt leave a burn at all. The bag deployed and contacted my face just as the seat belt locked. I walked away with just a very slight bruise from the shoulder belt and a concussion. Ive had quite a few concussions so they occur much easier.

That being said, I have no clue if a newer airbag could be retrofitted into a 94-96 wheel. Idk much anything about the SRS system in these old fords. None of mine have one.
You can replace the wheel with a 97+ wheel and airbag. I haven't ever set one off, but the airbag computer doesn't complain and the resistances are the same. I assume it would fire in an accident

1 - 5 of 5 Posts