Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if my exhaust has caused my tranny to burn up. I lost the heat shield to the cat that is next to it. I need a new tranny because it slips gears and overheats. I am just wondering if my exhaust is to blame or just the malfunctioning tranny burning itself?

Basher

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Not sure if the cat would cause a "overheating" of your trans, but if the tranny lines and exhaust system come into contact it would cause the temp of the ATF to go up a bit???

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
BambiBasher said:
I am wondering if my exhaust has caused my tranny to burn up. I lost the heat shield to the cat that is next to it. I need a new tranny because it slips gears and overheats. I am just wondering if my exhaust is to blame or just the malfunctioning tranny burning itself?

Basher
I ditched that heatshield a long time ago and mine's never overheated (and I'd know, I have a temp gauge for the ATF).

In answer to your question, I go with what Streetgang said and add that ehaust can add heat to the lines and maybe even the case a bit, but by itself I'd say no.

Do you have an external cooler now ? Do you have a remote filter yet ?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
566 Posts
my stock catilaconverter was cooking my tranny lines, those bitches were hot! The Bassani y-pipe does a good job of not cooking them guys!!

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,422 Posts
My Bassani Y-pipe cooked my trans lines. It must have been something that shifted when I had the engine out and swaped the 351 into it. My trans lines were coming into contact with the Y-pipe and overheated the fluid. I re-routed my trans lines, went up a size, added a spin on trans filter and replaced my trans solenoid pack because my 1-2 shift was screwed and then all was well again. Look closely at your trans lines and make sure they're not touching the exhaust anywhere. If they're really close anywhere try to clearance them.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
RLKBOB said:
My Bassani Y-pipe cooked my trans lines. It must have been something that shifted when I had the engine out and swaped the 351 into it. My trans lines were coming into contact with the Y-pipe and overheated the fluid. I re-routed my trans lines, went up a size, added a spin on trans filter and replaced my trans solenoid pack because my 1-2 shift was screwed and then all was well again. Look closely at your trans lines and make sure they're not touching the exhaust anywhere. If they're really close anywhere try to clearance them.
I'd like to go up a size, like you did Bob

My lines are close to that custom Y-pipe of mine and with all the extra exhaust it flows (over the stocker) I was a bit worried about overheating the fluid in the lines. As you can see in the pic my stock lines are less than an inch above one of the pipes;

As soon as I got the trans temp gauge installed my worries were over as it stated ;

Even in 100 degree situations. So back to Bambibasher's question, no, in my experience it's not enough to overheat your trans, providing you have a large enough trans cooler.

Sixlitre

1 - 7 of 7 Posts