Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 32 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The MF you posted is SS with no extra shipping fee and the Bosal is Aluminized Steel with a $20 extra shipping fee.
Hadn't looked that closely yet but I did notice the bosal said oversized.

Now you see why I just custom built mine! So many choices and none of them really sparked my interest. The flowmaster scavenger y-collector flows better than all of em, and has a unique sound, do to it being an actual collector, and not just a Y shaped pipe.

I too use the band clamps to hook the muffler to the tail pipe and y-pipe.
Dude, yes. This is crazy. I just don't know that I have the dedication (or proper equipment) to weld one myself to the extent that you did.

Ugh...

·
Registered
121 Posts
My reluctance to purchase those kits with the cat and y pipe as one unit would be the thought of the cost having to replace that unique piece, should the cat crap out. Much easier to replace a bad competent singularly-cat, y pipe, etc—than a proprietary piece.

Back in the day, I thought a TV/DVD combo was a great space saver......until the DVD player crapped out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,093 Posts
Hadn't looked that closely yet but I did notice the bosal said oversized.

Dude, yes. This is crazy. I just don't know that I have the dedication (or proper equipment) to weld one myself to the extent that you did.

Ugh...
Do you have a welder and some sort of saw that will cut metal straight? That's all you need. A wire feed welder (mig) works well. Make little tack welds spaced around the pipe until you fill it in. Eventually you can do small beads instead of tacks.

I bought mandrel bends and pipe from summit. I'm very happy with how both turned out. I am going to be doing one for my 08 f350 since the cats are throwing codes.

·
Super Moderator
14,529 Posts
hmm, this thread has me thinking..the last exhaust shop I went to made my current y-pipe..it's a total piece of s**t..there are at least two leaks that I can't track down..as much as I'd like to try to make my own, seems easier to buy one of the off the shelf off-road set ups..

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My reluctance to purchase those kits with the cat and y pipe as one unit would be the thought of the cost having to replace that unique piece, should the cat crap out. Much easier to replace a bad competent singularly-cat, y pipe, etc—than a proprietary piece.

Back in the day, I thought a TV/DVD combo was a great space saver......until the DVD player crapped out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's funny, b/c i always was reluctant to buy a combo lke that for the same reason.

Do you have a welder and some sort of saw that will cut metal straight? That's all you need. A wire feed welder (mig) works well. Make little tack welds spaced around the pipe until you fill it in. Eventually you can do small beads instead of tacks.

I bought mandrel bends and pipe from summit. I'm very happy with how both turned out. I am going to be doing one for my 08 f350 since the cats are throwing codes.
i have a cheap wire feed welder from northern tool that i got on trade for a saginaw pump setup.

nothing i'm finding, along with no one here telling me, indicates that the 91 y-pipe with the cat further down will not fit physically. summit is local to me. so i may be inclined to get the 91 y-pipe and cat and just roll with that. then down the line, should be i ready to commit to the full 3-inch exhaust then i will be able to reuse the y-pipe without any further modification.

i do appreciate all the input, fellas....

·
Registered
'92 Custom, '95 MAF 5.0
1,989 Posts
the preferred cat i would use would be a spun metallic one, but if i used one, i'd have to also buy a y-collector for the y-pipe, which is why i was asking about fitment. that y-pipe from jegs looks like exactly what i'd want...EXCEPT that it's for a 302 instead of the 351. so i'm thinking it wouldn't work w/o modification...
I do know that the 302 and 351 y-pipes are not compatible.

·
Registered
95 5.8L XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Electric, Manual, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15's, 299K
693 Posts
I went with a 3" S.S. pipe after the MagnaFlow S.S. Y-Pipe Cat to a MagnaFlow S.S. Muffler then dual 2.25" Tail pipes out the back Passenger side ending in dual 3" S.S. Tips. Once you have a good flowing Mandrel bent S.S Y-pipe you can add/upgrade your exhaust downstream as money permits. You said you were installing Shorties so you want to complement them with a good Y-Pipe then whatever you want after that that adds to your pleasure.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
. Once you have a good flowing Mandrel bent S.S Y-pipe you can add/upgrade your exhaust downstream as money permits. You said you were installing Shorties so you want to complement them with a good Y-Pipe then whatever you want after that that adds to your pleasure.
The more I work through it I think I'm coming to the same conclusion

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
it's done. i ordered this one. it was the cheapest stainless y-pipe and single in/out cat configuration i could find. plus, i got summit to price match for me with some random site i found on google.

when i'm done and ready to do exhaust, i'll let you guys know how it turns out

·
Registered
95 5.8L XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Electric, Manual, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15's, 299K
693 Posts
@[U]dash_cam[/U],
Since you mentioned maybe going to a 3" exhaust down the line and reusing the Y-Pipe, do you realize that the outlet of the Cat is sized to fit the 2.25" stock exhaust?
The (2) exhaust pipes are 2.5" (supposedly) then into the Y then into (1) 2.5" pipe then into the Cat then out of Cat is 2.25".

Just remember (2) 2.5" pipes are approx. 10 sq inches and (2) 2.25" pipes are approx. 8 sq inches which are both greater than (1) 3" pipe which is approx. 7 sq inches which is greater than (1) 2.5" pipe which is approx. 5 sq inches which is greater than (1) 2.25" pipe which is approx. 4 sq inches.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@[U]dash_cam[/U],
Since you mentioned maybe going to a 3" exhaust down the line and reusing the Y-Pipe, do you realize that the outlet of the Cat is sized to fit the 2.25" stock exhaust?
The (2) exhaust pipes are 2.5" (supposedly) then into the Y then into (1) 2.5" pipe then into the Cat then out of Cat is 2.25".

Just remember (2) 2.5" pipes are approx. 10 sq inches and (2) 2.25" pipes are approx. 8 sq inches which are both greater than (1) 3" pipe which is approx. 7 sq inches which is greater than (1) 2.5" pipe which is approx. 5 sq inches which is greater than (1) 2.25" pipe which is approx. 4 sq inches.
my expectation is that when i'm done i'm going to have a factory sized exhaust the entire way. however, i will have accomplished my minimum goal of replacing two old cats with one. also, if/when i am able to go to a 3" exhaust i can reuse the new y-pipe, install a high flow metal spun cat, a new muffler, and 3" exhaust all the way back.

21 - 32 of 31 Posts