Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me explain.

I bought a set of sealed beam Sylvania XtraVision's (HV6054XV) several months ago.

I noticed wile installing them that the chrome (or whatever it is) that coats the inside of the bulb to reflect the light forward was so thin on the tops and bottoms of the backside of the bulb that it was actually semi transparent. I dismissed it as unimportant and installed the bulbs as is.

Several days ago I did a routine check to make sure all my lights work. It was at night in the driveway away from any street lights. Thats when I noticed light coming through all the small holes in the inner fender and through the gap between it and the frame. There was light just bleeding out from every gap, hole, or crack on the front of the truck.

This must be due to the transparency of the bulbs at the top and bottom.

So is there any reason why I cant paint the backside (top/bottom) of the bulb with silver paint? I know not to let it touch the three electrodes because of the possibility of it conducting between them, but other than that. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
The only reason I could think of would be the possiblity of heat retention, but I dont really know that a coat or two of silver spray paint would cause a dramatic enough difference to do any damage.... sounds like they should have been puttin on a little more to begin with!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Paint it up. I had the same problem with my old E-150, I just wasn't bothered enough by it to do anything about it...being a nasty old van and all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts