Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of trouble can i run into by removing this piece?

it's the top piece that curves up and takes in air right under the hood..
i feel like i gained power by taking it off-- feels like my truck doesn't get as winded past 3k rpm--may just be in my head though :whiteflag

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
yeah you can. i would just get the tube from a 460 and put it on there. this is what forces air into you airbox.

·
Registered
201 Posts
yeah its in ur head. that tube feeds the cold air into ur intake into the engine. if u take it off then its gonna suck the warm air from the engine compartment. ur call though

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
I went and got one from salvage yard since mine was missing. I think it runs better with it. :/

·
Super Moderator
25,823 Posts
yeah its in ur head. that tube feeds the cold air into ur intake into the engine. if u take it off then its gonna suck the warm air from the engine compartment. ur call though
I agree!

Also, consider insulating the tubes and air box;

Air Tube & Box Insulation pics in a 94 5.0; miesk5 Note; Ken used Reflectix Insulation, avail @ Lowes. etc. ST16025 - 16" x 25 feet. Ken installed the K&N® & removed da cold air intake tube that runs to the top of the radiator; but he could have installed the intake tube section later.
Source: by Ken B

see more

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
I wondered that too, if you really want an awesome sound, remove all the air intake hoses... Then after sucking in hot and unfiltered air you blow your engine but get an awesome sound. :rofl:

But keep the hoses unless, if you really want it gone, you get a cone filter. Even then, the hose on would probably be better.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wondered that too, if you really want an awesome sound, remove all the air intake hoses... Then after sucking in hot and unfiltered air you blow your engine but get an awesome sound. :rofl:
smartass lol :goodfinge

i think, unless you insulate the entire induction system, the air will get warm eventually and probably doesn't matter unless it's forced induction.

hell i have ~200* water running through my throttle body, shouldn't that heat up the air??

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so by that chart ur saying its usless gettin a k&n air filter?
looks like if you're not insulating it, yes :thumbup

but what i wonder what the trade-off is between higher flow and slight temperature differences..as in: "the stock airbox is cooler (slightly) but the K&N is a lot less restrictive,"

which one wins? less slightly cooler air, or more slightly warmer air?

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
looks like if you're not insulating it, yes :thumbup

but what i wonder what the trade-off is between higher flow and slight temperature differences..as in: "the stock airbox is cooler (slightly) but the K&N is a lot less restrictive,"

which one wins? less slightly cooler air, or more slightly warmer air?

slightly cooler air wins..

A stock engine, even at WOT won't draw nearly enough air to see any restriction from the intake tube.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
slightly cooler air wins..

A stock engine, even at WOT won't draw nearly enough air to see any restriction from the intake tube.
well then what is the point in people (like myself) removing part of the tube?

nothing??

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just too many people have seen The Fast and the Furious. They are easily sold on that kind of stuff. If you have a monsterously built engine, then maybe you receive some benefit. Most of the factory inlet systems are restrictive and are designed to muffle the sound, but usually you will not register much of a gain with the K&N systems. The best bang for the buck would be a drop-in filter. The tube will help you bring in cooler air, and will help keep you from sucking in water.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts