Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was told that you cant run a solid axel at 6"(4" coils +2"from axel)because of engine cross member.but broncograveyard has a kit so i imagine its possible.i would go higer(lke 10" but aint got the money for bigger tires and gears just yet.ok, im ready for the smartass comments now......

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
ok, you can, if you cut the front section of the crossmember, search for member chris85 xlt and i believe he has pics of how he did his on his superford page, its a good way to keep a low COG and still have the solid axle

wes

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
i dont know where everyone is getting this 4" spring crap. run a 6" spring and be done with it, I know mine isnt any higher than a ttb truck with a 6". my diff comes close to the crossmember but dosent hit, I dont see a 4" coil even giving it enough clearance

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think thats just what i needed to hear.......so a 6" spring on a sa with 33's is gonna look the same as a 6" spring on ttb with 33's(i like more room in the wheel wells)?am i gonna need RA drop brackets for the sa or can i use my new ones?

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
prove it tim. give some numbers here.
i know everyone says that the ttb buckets and old ones are different, but i have pictures to prove that is not true. there is about .5 inch difference between the two.
Are the older springs longer than the ttb ones? that is the only place that i could see gaining the two inches. it would not come from the lower mount ( which I know you are not implying) since either way the coils sits up a little off the axle tube depending on which type of front we are talking about.
the only way i could see using a 4" coil would be to lower the old buckets quite a bit o make up for the 2 inch shorter coil, but you would be lucky to use all (4 at least) of the mounting holes on the side of the bucket.
to specify my info, I ran old buckets, moved all the way up (Mine has the lower lip on it to go on the bottom of the frame), ran 8" 2wd fabtech ttb coils (.5" taller than superlift 6" ttb 4wd coils) and stock lower 79 mount on thop of the radius arm. I am like 1" taller than I was when I had a ttb front, and the difference came because these fabteck coils did not comporess as much as the ttb superlifts. that is the only difference i found with my sas

I am interested to see where you got an extra two inches.

·
Registered
403 Posts
well I have 6 inches of lift on my bronco and used 4" lift springs that davids78bronco provided for me and I am using the stock TTB coil buckets mount only 1" further forwad on the frame... what mor do you want me to prove!!! there it is plane as day i have it sitting in my driveway right now!

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
are you sure it is a 4" coil. what is the compressed length. IIRC, my free length was like 23.5, compressed it was 19 to 19.5 for the coils I am running now and with the 6" superlift. I wonder if the old coils for a 4" are really the same length as the 6" ttb coils. maybe that is where the difference is coming from.

·
Registered
403 Posts
just ran out with a flash light and a tape measure and the coil measure out to be about 19" hope this helps you out a little.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
^^ where at in MA??^^

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
massbronco, did you quote JBG or something? I think they are talking about using a ttb lower coils spring mount on top of the 78/9 rad arms (similar to chris c.), that would gain you an extra two inches. Chris85 can you verify that you gained approx that amount with your lower coil setup?

timmy, thanks. then my ASSumption seems to be about correct. i think the older coils are two inches longer for any given lift than the newer ttb. like I said with either the 6" superlift 4wd or the 8" fabtech 2wd coils, they are about 1 plus or minus at compressed height. So I would guess that a free 4" coil for 78/9 would be around 23 inches. Good to know.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
About the crossmember. Yes, it will prob need trimming. If you use drop RA brackets, or extended arms, it will help alot. If the angle is still not that good, make a cut in the RA bracket and use a BFH to drop the face of the mounting plate back a couple degrees. Check for clearance. Adjust if necessary. Weld and gusset new 'custom' bracket.

my friend needed to trim his crossmember, and reangle his RA bracket. He did not use drop brackets. he also used 6" TTB coils on a 78 axle, giving him a total of about 8-9" of lift, mostly because of the coil buckets he made that were so tall.

the bronco graveyard kit is not at all like the do it yourself swaps the majority of people do. mostly because its just too damn expensive. secondly, it is rumored that the quality isnt that good, flex is poor, and it is more for show trucks than real wheelers.

there are also many good write ups on personnel pages, like Brian Soderblom's.

http://soderblom.net/bronco/tech/D44solid/

good luck, keep em comin.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts