Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about swapping my stock 351 5.8L engine for a more power packing 351W with numerous upgrades. The main thing im wondering about is if it would simply just go in and connect well without major alterations.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
what 351 is in there now.. im assuming it is also a 351w...you can swap the motor in with little alterations if any

dc

unless your motor is a 351c or 351m...then you will need alot more parts...more people will know more on this than me

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Your engine IS a 351w, if it's a factory 85 as you say.

Damn you Todd, you made me look like a crowd follower....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I thought that these were speed density motors, so it would really help to add a cam or anything...unless you can reset the parameters in the cpu.

S

·
0 Posts
if your looking to do an engine swap i would just go with a 460 because your already doing alot of work otherwise im sure you can squeze plenty of power out of your current 5.8

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 80 has a factory 351M not a windsor. So the 460 swap is alot easier as it has the BB trans already

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
BrncoBen said:
I thought that these were speed density motors, so it would really help to add a cam or anything...unless you can reset the parameters in the cpu.
An 85 with a 351w would be carbed, Not EFI.

·
Registered
490 Posts
yea your 85 is carb. you can pretty much do what ever you want to it cause its not efi. now if you want to go big block 351m/400/460 you will need a big block c6 unless you have manual then you will need just the big block bell housing. if you have the 351w just stick with the small block for while. the 400/460 will really kill you in gas. not liek the 351w doesnt. I should know. heres a pic of my 85 with 351w

1 - 9 of 9 Posts