Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to owning a Bronco. I have 1991 5.8L Eddie Bauer edition.
Im planning to put spray Seafoam into the intake to clean it out. I know that generally you have to spray the Seafoam directly into the intake to avoid getting it on the MAF sensor. However I also know that since mine is a 91, I have a speed density sensor (right?).
So my question is,

Is there anything to prevent me from spraying Seafoam into the intake? Does the SD sensor have another sensor (maybe MAP) inside the intake that would be damaged by Seafoam?

Anything helps and is appreciated, it sat for awhile so I’ve also replaced the air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve, battery, and alternator soon (it doesn’t work).

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
2,934 Posts
I’ve heard that you can just pull off the vac hose from the brake booster and stick the hose down in the sea foam can and slowly suck the sea foam into the intake at the vac line tree. I’ve never done it, just what I’ve heard.

You don’t have MAF, you have SD and the MAP is on the firewall behind where the PCV valve is. No worries about that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I’ll definitely look into that more.
I have read a bit about the break booster hose, just wasn’t sure if it hit different areas or not.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've done it on my '94 and MS88 is very close. On mine there's a vacuum tree near the back of the intake. There are 3 or branch's and one was capped. Pull the cap and put a length of vacuum hose on the tree and then the other end all the way into the can while the engine is running. You may want to bump the idle just a bit. HOWEVER you're gonna have a white smoke cloud like you've never seen. Dont worry just think of your neighbors. Or go to a walmart parking lot. It should make a difference you'll notice. I've done this on my boat also. It's a great product.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
There's probably more than one way to do it so I'm not trying to discredit dessert bronco above.

Seafoam in the bottle I did on another vehicle. And I pulled the line off the brake booster. Poured the seafoam into a cup, and SLOWLY let the vacuum suck it up. Check out YouTube and you'll find plenty videos showing the smoke screen you can expect.

I'm pretty sure seafoam also recently came up with a formula you can spray into your intake that should be sensor safe. They did that for all the direct injection vehicles on the market now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts