Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got some time to work on the bronco again.
I have removed the hood, radiator and entire front clip.

My question is can I remove the engine, transmission and transfer case all at one time?
I have a 2 ton engine hoist/crane on wheels that I plan to use to lift and slide the whole assembly out.

I am putting in a different engine and transmission but reusing my old transfer case. I would rather pull everything out at once if possible.

Is it easier to remove the bolts from the motor mounts where they attach to the frame or the engine?

This is my first time doing a big job like this, so any tips are welcome. I am a total newbe but just learning by doing. I would greatly appreciate any tips.

I will being updating on my build thread soon, thanks

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Your 79 should be a walk in the park. I removed the engine/trans/tcase from my 85 all in one shot, and installed it the same way. Its def. a bit awkward and annoying, but it can be done without too much trouble. Make sure you are on level paved ground, or use thick plywood. Its almost impossible in gravel or dirt.

Drain all the fluids first, remove all the wiring. Pull the transmission crossmember, make sure the exhuast is out of the way(drop it out if possible), remove the trans and engine dipstick(ive broken a couple of them getting in a hurry). dont forget the transfer case shifter. Pull the cover over the transmission for added access to see whats going on.

I've unbolted the motor mounts both ways. If you need the clerance, remove them all together so they don't snag on something

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
T-case is 145 lbs alone. I'd remove the t-case first, otherwise your CG will be way off and you run the risk of having the rear drop on you.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
You'll be lifting a lot more weight and raising it a lot higher than just the motor because the t-case will hang really low. It will be tippy and messy. I would do it the normal way unless I had a bridge crane or a hyster.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
even with the core support gone, he won't have the reach. the boom will have to be set on the shortest setting AND where is the pivot point gonna be with the c-6 and transfercase on it ?

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
even with the core support gone, he won't have the reach. the boom will have to be set on the shortest setting AND where is the pivot point gonna be with the c-6 and transfercase on it ?
I used an adjustable motor sling and adjusted the pivot point back as I pulled it out. TC rested on floor jack as I pulled it forward until the pivot point was far enough back to balance. Believe me, it can be done! (And I did it with a 203!)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the replies, I will probably get one of those lifts from harbor frieght and remove the transfer case first and then pull the motor and tranny together.
Thanks

·
Registered
580 Posts
I was tempted to try it with my 351w,c6 and 1356. I didnt do it though I pulled the 1356 and did the engine tranny together. I was tempted to install it all in one piece but didnt do that either. You could possibly fashion a chain around the back of the tranny to level it with or at least keep the back from dropping. Thats what I did and it worked.

·
Registered
224 Posts
IMO, its a lot easier to separate the the three. It makes for a cleaner removal and install without the worry of pinching a wire, bending a fuel line, messing up the fire wall ect.

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
IMO, its a lot easier to separate the the three. It makes for a cleaner
removal and install without the worry of pinching a wire, bending a fuel
line, messing up the firewall ect.
x2! :)

For me the idea is to post your idea/s and let the thread-reader decide. :)

It's easier and better for me to do this sort of stuff by myself so I don't
have to hurry. So separating the jobs is a given. But for a tinkering fool
like me, I can actually do a better job because of the many side-issues I
work on as I go that'd takes a lot of time and wouldn't be right to have
them waiting on me while I'm fiddling-around with "the little things".

But this sort of stuff is fun with friends helping too, just a different kind
of fun is all. LOL :)

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
79 Posts
I will probably get one of those lifts from harbor frieght and remove the transfer case first and then pull the motor and tranny together.
Thanks
Bino9905: You'll never be sorry with that trans. jack from harbor freight! You can use an impact wrench to raise and lower trans.,transfer case, whatever, in seconds! I've spent yrs. and countless projects with some jerry rigged floor jack etc., and this jack makes removal and installation a breeze! Also comes in handy to dolly around heavy, awkward items around your shop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts