Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new Bronco home last night and come to find a leaking tranny. I don't think it is bad. The tranny was rebuilt about 20000 miles ago. I can't get in touch with the PO he is in the process of moving to Texas so I know he is busy. I don't know if he was running synth atf or not. I have a gal of reg atf but just don't know if it is safe to mix( if he was running synth.). I appreciate the help. I want to drive the darn thing as it only appears to leak when warm.

Also it goes into gear upon selection(RND and so on) just didn't seem to shift on the way up to the gas station last night. The station is only 3 blocks away. I know that you really only get an accurate reading on tranny fluid when warm(correct) so how do I safely warm it up without damaging anything driving around. If I just let it warm up in the yard, is that sufficent?

A little on the tranny(what I know)..... It is an AOD that was rebuilt about 20,000 miles ago. I know it has a shift kit in it and am pretty sure it has a couple of other upgrades I can't remember right now.

Bottom line is it safe to mix?

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks. I just got in touch with him a little while ago. It is regular atf. I wouldn't be worried about it just with this storm hangin around I want to be able to add if neccessary to go somewhere if the water gets high.

·
Registered
815 Posts
You can mix a little. Here is an example. Our Allison B500's require synthetic, but the warranty is still valid if the mix is 10% or less non synthetic, and believe me, they test it. On the other side of that, I use our synthetic fluid (TES-295) to top off any vehicle that rolls through our shop. Now gear oil is another story. Mix those and its foam city.

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just let it warm up at idle in the yard and checked the fluid. The fluid is actually a little bit high on the dipstick, but not much. I did notice there are some tiny bubbles in the fluid(only noticeable on the back side of the dip stick though). Figured that the shift kit might be a little more aggressive so I went out and got it up to 3500 rpm's and still no shift. I am gonna have to research this a little more. Any suggestions?
Haynes says to check the adjustment on the throttle shift cable. So I guess that is my next step......once TS Fay decides to get outta here and give me more than 5 or 10 minutes between rain. And we are only getting the outer bands now...ugh.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
Yeah, definitely make sure the TV cable is properly adjusted. That thing, if maladjusted, will cook an AOD in short order.

He might've screwed up the shift kit installation, and it wouldn't be the first "AOD + shift kit = no shift" I've seen. Both times, it was a TCI kit; I think their products are worthless shit, but that's JMHO. :toothless

Best of luck with the storm passing by quickly!

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, definitely make sure the TV cable is properly adjusted. That thing, if maladjusted, will cook an AOD in short order.

He might've screwed up the shift kit installation, and it wouldn't be the first "AOD + shift kit = no shift" I've seen. Both times, it was a TCI kit; I think their products are worthless shit, but that's JMHO. :toothless

Best of luck with the storm passing by quickly!

I am not sure what kind of shift kit it is but the PO hasn't had any trouble with it. I know he took great care(maintnence) of it though. I am going to have to read up on the TV adjustment. The rebuild was (I think) a couple of years ago so I doubt it is an install problem. Should the bubble thing be something to worry about? I believe the pan gasket is the source of the ever so slight leak so I am going to go ahead and buy the filter/gasket kit and when doing that I will very thoroughly inspect the fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.