Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a check engine light come on the last couple days. Took it to the prick at Auto Zone who acted like I was intruding on his date or something, anyway the error message was EGR valve not opening. What the trouble actually was, was the opening on the bottom of the canister (looks like a black coffee can) on the passenger side of the engine bay. Two electrical connections are connected to it, a black and red wire. Anyway it had tape on this opening, closing it up. The tape had come off. I closed the opening with more tape and the light has not come on again.

Does anyone know what this canister is/does?

Its a 95 EB 351

Thanks

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Vacuum reservoir, your check engine light was coming on because you had no vacuum pressure....or lack of pressure actually.:thumbup

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
WasACop3436 said:
Vacuum reservoir, your check engine light was coming on because you had no vacuum pressure....or lack of pressure actually.:thumbup
Okay, I'm with him now. :thumbup

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
Mine had some rust holes in it. I did the ghetto/college fix by making a new one from a quart-sized paint can, a hole saw, and some RTV, with the original vacuum fitting from the old can (it has an integrated check valve). All new part for $4. :toothless

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
my CEL is coming on, got it scanned and it said "EGR Flow Exceeding". i did some searching and just found out what it does, not why it is "flow exceeding" and how to fix it. any ideas on what to test/replace?

edit: should know my own vehicle before making fun of Gacknar.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
Gacknar said:
You have to have a scanner to read yours. :duh

Du...It's a 96 :goodfinge

96 = OBD-II. :toothless

i wasn't aware of that. :brownbag i thought i could pull codes on an OBD-II with a paperclip.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Bri_Guy5 said:
i wasn't aware of that. :brownbag i thought i could pull codes on an OBD-II with a paperclip.
Nope. OBD-II is a whole diferant ball game.

Bri_Guy5 said:
Who am I ?
I give up, who? :shrug

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
yep - vacuum canister. ive got two...
ace

·
Registered
634 Posts
Semper Fi said:
I had a check engine light come on the last couple days. Took it to the prick at Auto Zone who acted like I was intruding on his date or something, anyway the error message was EGR valve not opening. What the trouble actually was, was the opening on the bottom of the canister (looks like a black coffee can) on the passenger side of the engine bay. Two electrical connections are connected to it, a black and red wire. Anyway it had tape on this opening, closing it up. The tape had come off. I closed the opening with more tape and the light has not come on again.

Does anyone know what this canister is/does?

Its a 95 EB 351

Thanks
It's definitely a vacuum cannister/resevoir (holds some vacuum for when the engine is in a low vacuum state). Also, the black and red lines are hard vacuum lines, not wires.

Will

·
Registered
610 Posts
It wasnt one of these was it? always finding them around places...

or this?

actually if my charcoal can ever needs replacing i might just use one of these full of some active charcoal(get taht at the fish store)

·
Registered
867 Posts
WasACop3436 said:
Is it like the same thing that’s on race cars, vacuum sump. If so can it be replaced with a aftermarket one like from summit.
(excessive use of the word "like" and no im not from California):toothless

·
Registered
76 Posts
wow this could be a huge breakthrough for me... i got a CEL light as well, got 2 codes, one of them was "ECT sensor".. replaced it, the next one was some kind of "power steering switch, or power steering code..." anyways the problem i was having was that my truck bogs down when its warm at low RPMS, and ONLY when its warm.... i did headers last weekend and noticed that theres a gaping hole in my charcoal canister... anyone know if this could be the culprit? if so, how should i go about fixing the rust hole, i was thinking duct tape with silicon sealant around the edges of the rust hole??

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
If you cant duck it...

I always wondered about moving them, as I think where they are, makes my engine compartment look retarded, and all my friends always ask me why there is a coffee can mounted to my fender. Was thinking about relocating them under the coolant/washer tank, 1 is already there, just need to hide it a little better.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts