Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The book says the NSS is on the left side of the tranny. It is on my 89 F-350, but not on the 86 Bronco. Where could it be on the Bronco?

·
Super Moderator
26,007 Posts
yo bal,
WELCOME!
assuming you have the C6;

Removal & Installation

The switch is located on the left side of the transmission case. To remove:

1.Remove the downshift linkage rod return spring at the low-reverse servo cover.
2.Coat the outer lever attaching nut with penetrating oil. Remove the nut and lever.
3.Remove the 2 switch attaching bolts, disconnect the wiring at the connectors and remove the switch.

To install:

4.Install the switch on the transmission and install the two retaining bolts. With the transmission manual lever in the neutral position, check the position of the switch with a gauge pin (No. 43 drill) in the gauge pin holes.

5.Tighten the attaching bolts to 55-75 inch lbs.

6.Install the outer downshift lever and retaining nut and tighten the nut. Install the downshift linkage rod return spring between the lever and the retaining clip on the low reverse servo cover.

7.Connect the wire multiple connectors and check the operation of the switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
miesk5, Thanks,

Kind of new at this. It must not be a C6. It ended up being a round fitting with four wires. Anyway, I appreciate the help.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Not knowing anything else about your truck other than it's an 86 isn't gonna help any of us help you.

·
Super Moderator
26,007 Posts
yo bal,
See some E4OD, AOD & C6 Pan Identification & Driver Side pics;
Source: by Kenneth at
http://www.technicalvideos.com/identify_my_transmission.phtml

AOD has 14 pan bolts, see diagram & pic; P-R-N-(D)-D-1 shifter pattern, note, OD is actually a (D)

pic by Trigger

E4OD has 20 Pan Bolts;
P-R-N-(D)-2-1 shifter pattern

pic by Chris A

C6 have 17 pan bolts, see diagram & pic; P-R-N-D-2-1, shifter pattern
===

I made a mistake 15 years ago by telling someone to use the Driver's side label to ID their Rear Differential (aka, axle, pumpkin type, etc.); turned out that a previous owner had swapped a Dana 60 in place of the stock 8.8 or 9 inch
so... a run down;

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must tell you that the engine appears to be a rebuilt 302. All I know is there are a lot of extra wire bundles not plugged into anything (emissions). The book said the NSS was just like the diagram above, however the NSS was plugged into the left side of the tranny w/4wires. The transfer case and rear end appears to be all original. It has body lift and suspension lift. 35's BFG.

·
Super Moderator
26,007 Posts
yo b,
Is it an AOD?

What are the colors of the 4 wires?

Black with Pink stripe - Could be PNK/BLK from NSS to BACK-UP LIGHTS

Purple with Orange stripe - PPL/ORN, based on Xris diagram is from Fuse 5 to BACK-UP SWITCH (NSS)

Red with Lt. Blue stripe = from IGN SW thru NSS to Starter Relay; See Page 2, it shows Red/Lt Blu from Ignition Switch to NSS

on page 2 of XRIS's Diagram)
Red/Lt Blu from Ignition Switch to NSS

Red/Lt Blue from NSS to Starter Relay

Gry/Yel from NSS to EEC PIN # 30 READ RYAN'S INFO -
DO NOT hook up the EFI to the Neutral Safety Switch
That is for the start circuit, between the ignition switch and starter relay.
If you put 12volts on pin 30 you risk frying some circuits on the computer!

NSS Wiring Diagram in an 86
Source: by Xris at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/648662See page 1 & 2
-------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts