Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it would be a bad idea to heat the spindle in an attempt to get it free. I know I should be using a slide hamer with a spindle puller but I dont have one nor does the parts store. I'm thinking a quick once over with the torch?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Don't heat it! You'll ruin it, as the heat will soften the metal, and will cause it to bend under shock load (or worse if it becomes brittle). You NEED to find a slide hammer with jaws. Find another parts store (what kinda parts store doesn't have a slide hammer?!?) or start asking your friends with tools.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks alot SigEpBlue

The parts store that I usually go to was closed so I had to resort to this hole in the wall store. They had a slide hammer but it was a POS, so I didn't buy it. I'll just wait till tomorrow when the other store opens.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Use a BFH and hit the spindle clock wise or counter...Eventually a gap will start...Flat head screw driver and put another one in...Hitting evenly clock wise...Hit it hard with a 3-7 lb rubber hammer...About 30 real good hits...Or 15 minutes....

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
F1rocco said:
Use a BFH and hit the spindle clock wise or counter...Eventually a gap will start...Flat head screw driver and put another one in...Hitting evenly clock wise...Hit it hard with a 3-7 lb rubber hammer...About 30 real good hits...Or 15 minutes....
Exactly, maybe use a 2x4 to cussion the hammer blows, and go right around it like a pnumatic tool, you just have to keep at it but not too hard, the rust will eventually weaken break and your set. Just might take a while. You are talking about surface rust fusion right? Actually I just keep driving an impact socket into the steel on the face of the spindle plate, alternating between the lug nut studs in a rythmic pattern and eventually it separates. Its just really loud and agrevating.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
I just took one off a few hours ago.

My method is to use a rubber mallet and tap the outer part where the threads are. Not too hard but go side to side until a gap forms in the back then use a pry bar and go back and forth until it's removed. It takes less than a minute.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts