the old looked good just off tan

8mm wires
old one were showing signs of ark

msd cap and rotor
rotor was black,probly from arking wires

msd coil
factory at 238000

so far NO codes and still getting 16 on hwy:toothless 12 in city

also last year when i rebuild the engine i installed flat top standard pistons with molly rings.
could this be my problem? from dish smoggies to flatts

·
Registered
430 Posts
:whiteflag
Mine does the same thing and its old and tired.

Now I don't feel so bad about mine. :chili:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wish mine was old and tired, but the engine only has 8,000 miles on it, trans 16,000 miles.

btw: my dad ask me if my e brake was off:thumbup thats my dad aways has his set:duh

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
abra said:
i wish mine was old and tired, but the engine only has 8,000 miles on it, trans 16,000 miles.

btw: my dad ask me if my e brake was off:thumbup thats my dad aways has his set:duh

your dad has a point make sure you didnt break the cable inside the rear drum. i dont ever set the e brake on anything for that purpose right there.

ken

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
abra said:
92 eb 302 factory w/32/11.5

problem:
must floor it to hold 65mph

so far i have done this:
timing at 10
air filter{k&N getto style}
check all lines
seafoam{1/3 pint, just has bottle reads}

tune up:
sparkplugs {25 at 55 gap}
the old looked good just off tan

8mm wires
old one were showing signs of ark

msd cap and rotor
rotor was black,probly from arking wires

msd coil
factory at 238000

so far NO codes and still getting 16 on hwy:toothless 12 in city

also last year when i rebuild the engine i installed flat top standard pistons with molly rings.
could this be my problem? from dish smoggies to flatts

You've done everything right ignition wise

For the few dollars it takes buy the Autolites new and gap em' out to .055 and swap in a new set. Then bump the ignition to 13.5. If it rattles back it off to 12, but it shouldn't.

That'll help wake it up and turn those mondo heavy tires (for a 302). After that it's time to address the exhaust restrictions.

You've seen my Y-pipe, but if I had to do it again, I'd definately follow the route Streetgang pioneered.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28101&highlight=catco+streetgang

Cheap, easy, legal and effective. Use anyone's muffler you want after that and Dynomax's mandrel bent tailpipe.

Those mods could't be easier or cheaper to do and they'll really wake that puppy up. Can you run regular 235/75/15s most of the time on the street ?

That would help more than anything else, as you're already getting good mileage.

Sixlitre

BTW

whose plug wires did you use ?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
frist set
autolite from advance
2cd st
accel

plugs are new, old ones were autolite double platnums

im going to take it up to 16 or 18d:shocked

ordering headers this week (summit)
my cats are new, flowmaster 40 series muffler with 3x12 in tip. sounds good

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It could be your cats. I had the same problem with my 302, there was a small hill that even with the pedal floored, it couldn't hold 70mph and would start slowing down. I was also still getting 15-16mpg. I replaced the y-pipe and cats with the Catco version and now I can actually accelerate up the hill with just under 3/4 throttle and the mileage went up to 16-17. Replacing the cats and y-pipe was the single best power upgrade I have done so far.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i geuss i should replace them with catco. 1 cat is alot better than 2

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
what size hill and is there any weight in the back?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
abra said:
frist set
autolite from advance
2cd st
accel

plugs are new, old ones were autolite double platnums

im going to take it up to 16 or 18d:shocked

ordering headers this week (summit)
my cats are new, flowmaster 40 series muffler with 3x12 in tip. sounds good
I'd still get teh cheapest set of Autolites money can buy and stick em' in gapped out to .055.

I just noticed your flat top pistons. That should help you not hinder you and foregt 18 degrees !!!!!!!!! Try 12, then 13.5 and go up slow listening for rattle and ping.

Don't ask me how, but four completely different vehicles, with 5.0 litres have all maxed out perfectly at 13.5 degrees. Think what you will.

If you're ordering the Summit shorties (which I have too), good on you BUT!

Listen to Topfisherman (and me and Streetgang) and get the real restriction addressed/fixed first. Do the Catco Y-pipe first, keep your muffler and tips and THEN put on the headers.

Remember that the Summit shorties are made to bolt onto any stock style Y-pipe, like the Catco, so you don't need to do the headers first. In fact they 'd make no sense until you've cleared the obstructions.

Sixlitre

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
are you carbed or efi

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I have a rebuilt motor with about 12k miles, headers, MSD ignition, advanced timing, plugs gapped at 0.055, K&N air filtre, cam, 4:11 gears and when I come up to a hill, just as I am starting to drop in speed, drop it down from OD to drive. You have to keep those RPMs up....I miss my 1970 firebird now. That thing flew up any hill, all the time.

If you can find a way to improve the performance of these 302s, I would love to know.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've got the same problem when it comes to hills. I've changed out everything and running right at the moment no cats. Helped very little. Suggestion are welcome.

btw: i'm running long headers and performance distridutors coil, wires and modual on a 1990 302w/ aod

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
she runs like a stripped ape at 14:twotu: that half thing is a b!tch.

wife said ok to catco
will try frist

the only weight i have in the back is the factory spare on tail gate and the 3000watt kicker box:thumbup ever seen the wiperblades not touch the windsheild?:goodfinge

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
your dad has a point make sure you didnt break the cable inside the rear drum. i dont ever set the e brake on anything for that purpose right there.

ken
I am just the oposit.....I always use the e brake......but I also think that fact in itself has a bunch to do with the fact that I have no problems with it. There are quite a bit of bad ass hills in my area, and if I park on a incline I DO NOT count on the parking pin to hold the truck......and since my 93 Bronco is the only ride I have with a auto trans I am pre programed into using it.

When I bought my 93 I replaced EVERYTHING from the backing plate out in the rear.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
If you are interested, here is a link to to the Catco converters, you can get just a cat, or get a whole new y-pipe w/ cat:

Converter

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
woo hooo free shipping:drinkbud

btw i asume i have to have someone weld this

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You can if you want to, but it comes with all the clamps you need, so you could just clamp it together.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hey dont feel bad about the uphill thing mine is the same way. But I dont have any engine mods yet. Just a 5.0 with 194,000, although it runs great it does lack the power going up hill at right about 60-70mph. Anything under 60 and the od will kick down to 3rd and then with the rpms up it will get back up to speed. My solution to this has been when I see the hill coming get up to 70+mph and then I can hold it at over 70. But If I let it drop to in the 60's then I gott floor it to get it to kickdown and get my speed back. It might have something to do with the truck almost weighing 6,000lbs too.:whiteflag

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Mogley said:
My solution to this has been when I see the hill coming get up to 70+mph and then I can hold it at over 70.
Good thinking Mogley

That actually saves gas too

Sixlitre

1 - 20 of 25 Posts