Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been getting tougher and tougher to open the tail gate. How I pull up on the release handle and nothing. I;lm afraid I'll break it. Do I need to pull the access panel from the tailgate and make an adjustment of some kind. Any pointer would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
There have been numerous threads about this, but I'll make it easy for ya. Check out Steve83's tailgate folder on his SuperMotors page. That'll explain most of what's going on. In short, the lockout lever isn't out of the way, so what happens is you go to pull on the latch, and it can't move because of the lockout. That lockout lever is there to make sure the glass is down all the way before someone goes to open the tailgate. I just took my gate mechanism apart and fixed it up with some SeaFoam, lithium, and some pliers. Good to go. :thumbup

You're right that something's gonna give if you keep pulling on the handle, most likely your mechanism which is probably already bent. Just remove the access panel, disconnect the rods going to it (there are four), and unbolt it. It should become blatantly clear what's happened once you have it out and in your hands....that and Steve's pictures help.

EDIT: Here, I'm just a damn-nice guy today.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts