Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Bronco XLT, 5.0L, automatic, 3.55 gears
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1991 bronco driver seat has a lean like it's trying to dump me out into the center. I just brought this home and suspect a previous owner was a bigger dude. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the fabric and access the frame. Is it possible to untwist the frame? I'm open to suggestions on how to fix this.
20210124_145027.jpg

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,003 Posts
Car seats are typically closed at the base of the backrest either with a zipper or hog rings, I’d start with trying to get the access to the base of the back rest.

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
228 Posts
The driver side Captain's Chair was twisted like that in my '82. I took the seat out of the truck like you have done, opened up the seat cover at the bottom of the seatback (mine was hog ringed) and removed the cover. Turned out the vertical seatback frame was broken. I took it to a welding shop and they took care of it for me. I took it back home, put it all back together, and haven't had any problems with the frame since then - about thirty years ago. It has been recovered twice since then, and ready for the third. I hope you can get yours fixed to your satisfaction!
TB

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
3,778 Posts
Mine had a lean in my 82. Turns out the clevis pin on the bottom right that attached the seat back to the frame was missing. Put in a new pin and problem solved.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
702 Posts
Not at all uncommon to break seat uprights in fast cars, launch them hard, and the seat back snaps. I could see a big person breaking a seat back just due to their size, or if the Bronco was being bounced around offloading, it could easily happen.

I was the passenger when my buddys mustang seat snapped on a hard launch. I laughed my ass off, he didn't have his seatbelt on & almost flew in the back seat. He was a little guy too 5-8 160lbs.

Shouldn't be too big a deal to see what happened & repair it.

·
Registered
1991 Bronco XLT, 5.0L, automatic, 3.55 gears
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was able to get the arm rest off, seat hinge brackets removed and unzipped the seat covering. I'm going to try and remove the seat upholstery tonight after work. I also found a crack in the seat frame on the front left leg. Makes sense if the seat was consistently shoved to the back right that the front left seat mounting point would see a lot of strain. I'm thinking drill a hole to stop the crack and then weld it all up. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
702 Posts
Good to see you pulled the seat out of the truck so the welding doesn't spark a bunch of holes in your carpets or other seat covers, that whole fire risk thing.... Beat it straight with a hammer, drill the crack, weld er up. Nobody's gonna see it once the cover is back on so your pretty free to do what you need to do in there, just make her strong!! 💪

·
Registered
1992 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 351W, E4OD, 3.55, 33x10.5 mostly stock at this point
80 Posts
I was able to get the arm rest off, seat hinge brackets removed and unzipped the seat covering. I'm going to try and remove the seat upholstery tonight after work. I also found a crack in the seat frame on the front left leg. Makes sense if the seat was consistently shoved to the back right that the front left seat mounting point would see a lot of strain. I'm thinking drill a hole to stop the crack and then weld it all up. Does that sound right? View attachment 173622
Yeah i think that would be the best move. Ive repaired a few friends seats in their cars with broken seat frames and cracks doing the drill and weld method, after your repair you shouldnt have anymore issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts