Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched this one a lot and never have found an answer (although I could buy a book I guess.) What is the placment rule of thumb for axles on a car hauler (percent front to rear, whatever)? I currently have an 18 foot trailer that I'd like to cut down to 14 feet. As far as I can tell, the easiest way is to cut off the back of the trailer and move the axles. Is it just as simple as moving the axles up two feet or is the ratio different with the shorter trailer :scratchhe

Or am I just overthinking this :banghead

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,741 Posts
Removing two feet doesnt mean you move the axle two feet forward. Youll have to measure tongue weight to be sure, but id bet itll end up being closer to one foot forward. Has to do with the amount of weight forward the axles vs the weight behind them. The tongue weight is supposed to be a percentage of the total weight of the trailer, but i cant remember what it is (maybe 10%), its been too long since we shortened my father's.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I figured shorten four, move 'em two, but the weight thing makes more sense. Gotta see if I can find a scale to measure tongue weight, shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Let me get back to you on this. When I bought my last trailer I got a big Dexter Axle book with it and its got specs for axle positions for every type of trailer and configuration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts