Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Zombie Hunter
13,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was kind of inspired Godless's thread about new cars.

Saturday i was driving past a Ford Dealership. As some of you know i am on the prowl for an oil burner in the 90-97 range. For the first time i saw one on a dealer's lot.

I whipped the Bronco into the lot and get out and walk towards the truck. The sharks of salesmans start their feeding frenzy, their heads like dorsal fins moving swiftly between the tall trucks.

Before i even make it to the truck one attacked and said "Can i help you", i kindly replied with "just looking" and he went on with the "well i am right here if i need you" and was literally "right there" the entire time, he stood waiting about ten feet away.

I found a 97 F-250 Superduty extended cab 4x4, the truck was a bit overpriced being on a dealer's lot, but it was still something that i was willing to negotiate. So there i am on the lot, the door was open, i am going through the interior, pop the hood, crawl under the truck, basically like an ant all over this truck.

So i turn to look at the salesman and ask him if i can take it for a test drive. He doesn't bother getting the keys, he looks at me and says "Well right over here we have a 2007 F-350 Superduty, with all the same otpions". I reply with, "I don't want a new truck, i rarely ever buy new trucks, i want to take this one for a test drive". Plus the fawking truck he pointed to was a dually, a dually won't fit up my driveway and is WAY more truck than i need, hell the 97 was more truck than i need.

He mumbles something under his breath and turns to go get the keys, i was assuming. So there i sat on the lot by this truck. Waiting, forever. I more or less just wanted to here the 7.3 liter start more than anything else, to make sure there weren't any issues with it.

A second salesman came up and asked if he could help, i said no about ten minutes ago, the first guy went to get the keys for this one. He walked away, not even willing to offer to go see what the first guy was doing.

First Salesman finally shows back up, gives me some bullshit story about not being able to find the keys. The FIRST thing that pops into my mind is "How the hell can you not find the keys?" The second thing that pops into my mind is "This truck has serious issues, they don't want to start it for me".

So i continue to look at the truck. First salesman repeats his theory of how i should buy an '07 F-350 for 45k rather than a 97 F-250 for 12k. I say i am not interested in a new truck again.

I was really interested in this 97. I started chit chatting prices with him, and discussing negotiations on the price of the truck with him and all that other fun stuff. I probably would of sat down with this guy and discussed pricing and terms of a loan, had he not done this:

"You know for the price of this 97, you could put a helluva down payment on that 2007"

I turned, a bewildered look in my eye and screamed at the top of my lungs "I DO NOT WANT!" (no "it", just "i do not want" like a caveman)

Walked over and got in my Bronco and left, he probably thinks i am insane, but i don't care.

I really liked the 97, this guy may have been able to sell me the 97, but rather pushed the 07 like crack. A sale is a sale, but he was too worried about his profit and lost everything all together. "a decent down payment" on a new F-350 is NOT the same decent down payment i was willing to put down on the 97.

So a little tip salesman, NOT everyone wants a new truck, don't assume that we do. Some of us buy used trucks because there is still life in them and they sell a whole lot cheaper. Don't worry about selling one new truck when you can sell 30 used trucks.

ACK! some of you guys irritate me.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
I hate salesman and they hate me. I have them getting so pissed at my questions and hagling the want to just give it to me by the end. I have found it will take me about 5hours from finding the truck to make a deal as good as it gets.

your situation would have pissed me off too. i had that happen once where they tryed selling me a truck I wasent interested in. He wouldnt take no for an answer. hell i looked at it across the lot and said I dont want it because its a POS. he asked me how I knew and pointed out the dent in the fender and hideous body lift on it.

I love being a tech and knowing what to look for and how to deal with these losers. Too many times I have seen people get screwed time and time again on something. they always try and screw you on the price too. They ask you want you want your monthly payment at. I dont care about monthly, I want to know what I am paying for the truck! simple as that. I have to pay it eventually one way or the other anyway.

·
Banned
5,475 Posts
I will always look for private sellers, because I hate knowing the dealership paid half the price for the truck and now is trying to sell it to me for double the price.

I can't afford anything too much anyway. Sometimes the small corner lot ones will have decent prices, but I'm sure those trucks have been passes around like a hot potato.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love being a tech and knowing what to look for and how to deal with these losers. Too many times I have seen people get screwed time and time again on something. they always try and screw you on the price too. They ask you want you want your monthly payment at. I dont care about monthly, I want to know what I am paying for the truck! simple as that. I have to pay it eventually one way or the other anyway.
Well that's what kind of pissed me off too. I will readily admit i don't know much about the 7.3's, but i know what to look for in an Ohio truck when it comes to body damage/wear/rust and i know what a working drivetrain and suspension should look like.

I get irritated with people that go buy cars that don't know anything, do no reasearch, and want the car because it "looks cool".

I will always look for private sellers, because I hate knowing the dealership paid half the price for the truck and now is trying to sell it to me for double the price.

I can't afford anything too much anyway. Sometimes the small corner lot ones will have decent prices, but I'm sure those trucks have been passes around like a hot potato.
That's what i stick to, mostly cause the model year i am looking for isn't commonly on a dealer lot, with the glutton of used trucks on the market from the 0% financing and low interest financing, most of the trucks aren't more than 5 years old, and they still want the cash it requires to buy them when they are new.

Bronco Rob = Captain CaAaAaAaAaaaaavveeeee-MAN
No kidding dude. If you start talking to me like a moron, i start talking to you like i am a moron. It often frustrates the shit enough out of people that it works.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
You should call and get the dealership manager on the phone and chew his ass out and make him swing you a good deal on the truck. I always find out who owns the dealership, too, so I can threaten to call them.:box0715:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
my fam and i have used the same ford dealership for nearly 15 years, when i was looking for a used 250-350, they tried to push an over stock f150 on me but as soon as i said i dont want a gas truck they said o, we'll look around for you. a month later i get a call, guy mark tells me he found me an 03 f350 ext cap diesel, 68k on the clock, 16k asking price including all expensies. we've bought 8 cars/trucks from them in the last few years, my moms new focus, top o the line, cost us 13k

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
You should call and get the dealership manager on the phone and chew his ass out and make him swing you a good deal on the truck. I always find out who owns the dealership, too, so I can threaten to call them.:box0715:
:stupid

I'd speak to the a-hole's manager and tell him that his employee's high pressure sales tactics cost them a sale...unless he wants to work something out, hmmm? ;)

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,857 Posts
How do you guys talk down prices on salesman? Give us young guys tips. :toothless I'll admit, I suck at it. I got 1200 down once, that was all I could manage.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Sounds like a salesman or two were sweating their lifestyle payments. I regularly cruise dealer lots to see what they got, and I especially look at the wholesale lot. If I'm approached, I'll talk to anyone. But they can't bullshit a bullshitter. Working at a Ford dealer helps alot with dealing with salesmen. Not only do you get to know them, but they know you as well. When I bought my Mustang, I went to the hottest saleswoman we had, and I got a good price, good payments, and her daughter's phone number. Seriously.

If I'm not in control of the sale or negotiation from the start, or if they switch me to another vehicle, I walk. And I tell them that up front.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
How do you guys talk down prices on salesman? Give us young guys tips. :toothless I'll admit, I suck at it. I got 1200 down once, that was all I could manage.
I don't like beating people up with prices so I usually pay what they are asking and don't jew them down. If I don't like their price I will go somewhere else and I will let them know that.

But if you do want to lower it, tell them what you will pay for it, and if they say no then just leave them with your phone number and tell them to call if they reconsider. Many times if the vehicle sits for a while and no one shows intrest they will offer it to you. If not, well then you didn't want to pay that much anyways did you.
Keep in mind that will only work if you are buying something that has a very low demand, or is overly priced

If I'm not in control of the sale or negotiation from the start, or if they switch me to another vehicle, I walk. And I tell them that up front.
Thats what you have to do. Also if you need a salesman to sell you a car you are an idiot. Do your homework on what you are looking for and go to buy knowing exactally what you want and don't let any salesman change your mind unless you really make the decision for youself. Many times with salesman I have had to tell them "your not going to "sell" me anything, I know exactally what I want and I'm not taking anything else."

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Its very simple. Be prepared to walk away. Make your offer and if they balk, you walk. They will make another offer 90% of the time. If they don't? Fvck 'em, find another lot. Also important to have cash (this is best) or prearranged financing-that way they can't use that against you. Dont let them sell you on the monthly note. It doesnt matter if its $200/month if its for 84 months, or the interest rate is 17%! Find out what the vehicle is worth before setting foot on a lot (kinda obvious, but you'd be surprised). Crawl all over the vehicle like Rob if you know what you're looking for. If not, try to get a mechanic or a very knowledgable person to go with you. I usually try to get them to let me drive the vehicle for a couple days. They usually will let you because they think if they can get you to take it home you'll buy (they call it puppydoggin'). Anyways, hope that helps...

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
Sounds like what you got was a beginner new car salesman. There is more money in used cars, so the new guys normally aren't allowed to sell them. Sounds like this guy really didn't want to pass you off to a senior salesman.

I just worked a deal with the manager, I wrote the check for most of the balance, and paid $500 in cash off the books. I got mine for black book value with a spray in bedliner and a full tank of fuel. I really wouln't waste time with a salesman if you really intend to buy it.

I told the man "I will give you $XX.XXX if I can drive out of here in that truck, tagged and on the road." I told him I would give him a check, or cash or money order for up to $10k. Most of these guys are crooked enough to strike a good cash deal with.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Walk away.

That's the best advice i can give you. NEVER go to a dealership and plan on leaving with the truck.

It took me close to two weeks to buy my last new truck, by the time i was done pissing the salesman off, he actually called me with a lower price than i intended on spending.

You're first trip to the dealership should be to find a truck your interested in and talk to a salesman, don't give him your number, but get his card. Leave for a day or so, make sure you have the funds to cover a loan, and make sure it's the truck you want, do research. Then go back and get details about the truck.

Now do SPECIFIC research on the truck. Come back here make a post, find out about recalls, lemons being sold, educate yourself about what your buying as much as you can. Look up costs, dealer costs, what profit they should make on the truck, what you are willing to spend on the truck.

Call and ask the salesman you talked to originally about it. Sit down with him and discuss everything you educated yourself on, so you don't look like an idiot. Low ball him on what you're willing to pay for the truck. He will laugh and counter. Go a little bit higher than your initial price, he will laugh and counter. Go a little bit higher than the last price, and he will counter. This process will continue, do NOT exceed the price you planned on paying for the truck.

By the time he counters, you enough, you should be somewhere around what you planned on paying for the truck. IF you are within $500 of what you want to pay for it (+/- 500) and you feel comfortable, start paperwork and work out a loan payment you are comfortable paying, put down as much as you can without bankrupting yourself.

If you are NOT within that range, leave your number and walk away, and say i am willing to pay this much $XX, XXX for the truck (another lowball number). If he contacts you, (which he more than likely will, if your offer is fair) GREAT! If not, find another dealer.

Never sign paperwork until you are COMPLETELY happy with the deal. Not somewhat happy, not kind of happy, COMPLETELY happy. Push these guys for as much as you can out of them, be a dickhead. MAKE these guys work to make the sale.

The idea of showing up and buying a car on the same day is not reality, unless they are willing to work with you on the first day, most dealerships aren't. When i bought my Black Dakota new, it took close to three weeks to actually buy it, but i also got a HEFTY chunk off the sticker price, i think it was around 7 grand off the sticker price. The salesman was one he had been going to for a while and he was about ready to kill me by the time we sealed the deal.

But take your time and buy smart instead of buying fast, do your research and be a smart consumer. Also know your financial limits when you go to buy a tuck.

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts

Best thing you can do is talk to a manager. On used its tough to do because you don't really know how much the dealer gave for it, and you have to take in to account that no two used vehicles are alike.

New cars are easy, look up the invoice price on the interweb then knock off $500. They'll piss and moan but unless its a real popular model they will go for it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts