Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what the difference is between marine grade amps, and regular amps?

I found some that are water resistant, and some that claim to be completely waterproof.

Besides that stuff, is there anything different about them? Would they work in a car/truck application?

Just curious.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Is this for the submarine bronco your building?? Just ask sratex, they dont work to well underwater!:goodfinge :histerica

Really though, it usually just means it can withstand getting wet and moisture buildup. I guess the ones that say completely waterproof means it can be submerged for your sub......I mean bronco...:toothless

·
Registered
52 Posts
u'd be spending extra money on something that is pointles since any wires conected to the amp would get wet anyways and defeat the whole purpose adn subs can't get wet so you may be able to ogo submarining and come out with ur amp working but nothing else would.

·
Registered
77 Posts
some marine amps r set up for 24 volt systems also but like ogre said its pointless to spend the exta dough, unless ur gonna mount this thing where it will get wet r rinsed off due to the top bieng off n all weve all been there
the accumulation of mud in the back sux but hey if u match it with marine speakers it can all stay out in the elements longer
we all kno that when u get all sobered up in the woods the next morning and the top is off the dew settles or it rains you can krank up the tunes with no worriesand rock that hang over right out of ur skull!
party on !!!

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
I let my pioneers collect rain water and my amp was mounted near the tailgate. Only bad experiences with water I ever had was my sub box was splitting in peices and my CD changer did something funny one time.

Make sure your wires can dry out easily and you shouldnt have a problem. Let them sit under carpet for 2 months and your radio will cut in and out, your power seats will stop working due to a wire corroded clean off and your dash lights will be black with only your turn signal lights coming on when your headlights/parking lights are on. (does that sound like the voice of experience...???)

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
mightythreeninety said:
some marine amps r set up for 24 volt systems also but like ogre said its pointless to spend the exta dough, unless ur gonna mount this thing where it will get wet r rinsed off due to the top bieng off n all weve all been there
the accumulation of mud in the back sux but hey if u match it with marine speakers it can all stay out in the elements longer
we all kno that when u get all sobered up in the woods the next morning and the top is off the dew settles or it rains you can krank up the tunes with no worriesand rock that hang over right out of ur skull!
party on !!!
I had to read your post twice just to understand wtf you said.

Derrick, either way, I'd plan on mounting the thing in a watertight box. When it says waterproof, that doesn't mean submergeable, just that it can take a semi-direct salt water splash, and keep on tickin'. A simple little waterproof box, silicone all the holes for wires, and make it so that water can't sit on ANY spot (like smooth out all the silicone and make everything angled so that water will run off).

Wires and whatnot, good marine grade power will do you fine, and for the interconnects, try and run them as high and dry as possible, and I'd smear em with liquid electrical tape if they're going to be exposed to water.

Buy an aluminum sub, (eclipse *cough*) and it'll take all the abuse you can throw at it... Just don't try to run it underwater, I've seen it tried, and it looks cool for a total of about 5 minutes, and then it starts wearing things out, and making a lot of heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts