Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt the carb myself. The instructions that came with the kit are in my link. Here is the question: I went to start the truck last night, it fired fine and idled for about 30 secs then I stepped on the gas a little to drop the idle and it bogged and died. Then I fired it back up and everytime I hit the gas, as soon as I let off it dies. So then I knew it was still cold so I held on the gas to about 1200 rpm and once I let go it died. So I did it for about 2 minutes and then I put it in gear and it died. So I fired it and gas it some gas and droped it into gear, and held the brake while giving it a little gas. THen I released the gas and it idled fine.

Fast Idle screw set to 750 rpm ( while in gear)
Choke is set to factory position- should I adjust it to open more or make it close tighter?
Air screws are set to factory specs.

So what adjustments if any should I make?
It did rain yestarday and I wasn't able to check anything out because I was in a hurry and had to take the other car.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Fast idle screw should be more than 750 it should be up around 1200. With the fast idle out of the pic and with it warmed up is when the idle should be at 750. I just read your instructions and it says to set your fast idle to 1600-1700 (#6) and #5 says it should be at 500-550 that seems too low this must be for a standard.

Maybe you should go back to the instructions and read each step.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I should have stated that my fast idle is set to 750rpm w/ warm engine in gear. 1200 in gear seems to high. Am I wrong for thinking its my choke?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
fartman said:
Fast Idle screw set to 750 rpm ( while in gear)
Choke is set to factory position- should I adjust it to open more or make it close tighter?
Air screws are set to factory specs.
I would check the air/fuel mixture screws. What works with one engine, may not work for another and just because it came that way from the store or factory doesn't make it right. The way I have been adjusting the air fuel screw has been to set them both at 1 1/2 turns to start. Then with a tach hooked up and the idle down to around 600, turn the screw on one side out until the RPMs have peaked, then turn your idle down and repeat the procedure for the other side. Then just set your Idle to what ever it should be.
Same thing with your choke, it is not necessarily set correctly. Like I already said, re-read your instructions, step by step.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone else? I have tried what you said walt and have re-read and re-read the instructions. I don't think that the air/fuel would make it die like that. I turned them in and out and have found the smoothest idle location and have set it there.
So what you saying to do is- set the idle to 600rpm (in gear or park, which one? ) then turn the air screws to raise the idle to then turn down the idle screw again?
That doesn't sound right to me, and that sure isn't in the directions.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
fartman said:
Anyone else? I have tried what you said walt and have re-read and re-read the instructions. I don't think that the air/fuel would make it die like that. I turned them in and out and have found the smoothest idle location and have set it there.
So what you saying to do is- set the idle to 600rpm (in gear or park, which one? ) then turn the air screws to raise the idle to then turn down the idle screw again?
That doesn't sound right to me, and that sure isn't in the directions.
No leave it in park and set your idle to...whatever you want, that part doesn't really matter. The important thing is you have preferabley, a digital tach and you watch the tach as you slowly turn the mixture screw out. When the RPMs have peaked, than you know that is the ideal setting and repeat this for the other one. I'm not saying this will solve your problem, just saying it will be the optimal setting for your mixture screws.

I don't know what else to tell you, you may have screwed up the accel pump somehow. I'm certtainly no expert, someone else should step in here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts