Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an 83 bronco with a 302, everything seems pretty stock under the hood. They said it had a carb issue, but it looks like it was just a faulty fuel pump that was leaking. I updated the ignition coil, fuel pump, plugs, wires & distributor cap. I'm looking at swapping the 2 barrel out for a 4 barrel. First time working on a bronco, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

Thanks

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
5,015 Posts
Everyone has their favorite brands and such, but an Edelbrock performer dual plane intake and Edelbrock 600 cfm 4bbl carb should do you fine. I personally like the mechanical secondaries versus the vacuum secondaries you might find on some carbs. I’ve used the Carter AFB 4 bbl 600 cfm carb before as well and it was pretty good - a lot like the Eddy carbs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Edelbrock has a pretty nice air gap intake for the 302. The gap provides a rush of cool air to give more density to the charge. I'm running an Edelbrock Performer (I wanted to keep it as stock looking as possible) with a Road Demon 625 cfm carb on my '69 Mustang. Lotsa folks swear by the Edelbrock carb. They say it runs right out of the box. My Demon took a little fiddling. For some reason I thought Ford had used the variable venturi carb on the '83 Broncos (I had one of those too), but I could be wrong. I never really "worked" on that truck despite owning it for 17 years. A couple of starter replacements and an AC condenser replacement and that was about it. Sold it with 177K miles on the clock and the mileage down to 7 mpg. Still ran nice and smooth though.:)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
cant go wrong with eldebrock. for carbs, holley, carter, stock, or the holley EFI is my recommendation if you wnat to spend a few more bucks

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
4,259 Posts
I have the Edelbrock 1406 4bbl carb on my 82 351 and after the choke was set right and it was dialed in a little I'm really happy with it. Still have the stock intake but hope to upgrade to the Edelbrock performer sooner or later. Getting about 11 mpg with my current set up. Just an FYI, you'll have to get the Edelbrock air cleaner if u go that route. Your stock one won't fit.
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.