Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1984 Ford Bronco 302 Carb.

I have went through the carb (new needle, seat, float, power valve, accl pump, gaskets etc..). It runs fine on flat ground but when you hit a hill after a few seconds is chokes out and dies. Once you are on flat ground again it starts up and hauls ass with no issues. I mean shit if I hit the throttle from stop it spins the tires and you can even power break with no issues. It happens when going up a hill. The choke is working fine because once it is warmed up the choke plate it open all the way as it should. It has plenty of gas..

What am I missing here? The float was adjusted to spec and even looks to be level in the bowl. It has quarter tank of

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Just a few follow-up questions for you:

1.) Is this the stock carb?
2.) Do you mean a regular incline on the road, or, a trail hill?
3.) Fuel pump's good?

Eric

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes stock carb, stock jets etc..
Regular incline on paved roads.
Fuel pump is good (as far as I can tell). It fills the bowl real fast. If you remove spark on empty bowl and crank engine it fills bowl real fast.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe its not flooding maybe its running out of gas . On flat ground after a few cranks it fires right up. On the hill it will start after a fair amount of cranking but if you give any amount of throttle it dies. Does that sound more like fuel starvation then flooding? Going down hill with pedal to the floor it has no issues at all.

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
Look at your exhaust after the incident. wet 'n b lack?
If you can switch it off and not let the plugs burn off.... wet 'n black?
Then it's flooding. Front float might be too high. Fuel pressure could be too high.

If you just park it on a hill does it stall?
If you just cruise up the hill does it stall.
Then it's probably running out of fuel.

Try running it floored on flat road. See if it dies then.

Your fuel filter could be clogged, tank pickup dirty, filter in the carb is backwards.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Parked on hill will not stall. I actually took my high lifts (think they are 45") and jacked the front of the truck like 7 or 8 notches from the tops and made no difference at all. It would start and stop, rev and behave nice. It seems to be happening when under a load going up hill. On flat road it don't seem to happen. Where I am testing is 3 hills in a row all climbing in altitude . I live in about the middle of the first one and I hit it pretty hard out of the gate and usually by the end of the second hill its starting to loose power then on the down hill side if I let off it seems to kind of sputter then put the pedal down again to make it up next hill will sometime miss then take off but that is short lived because the next hill (maybe 100yrd ahead) it starts to sputter about the middle of the 3rd then usually quits near there.

Does that confuse anyone? ;) Its sure does sound like a incorrect float level adjustment right? The Carb is a Motorcraft 2150 and the rebuild kit I got said the float level should have been 31/64 or something to that effect. I will post later tonight the actual spec but it was close to that. The tag on the carb says "E4TE AJA" & "8 4C 88". This is a Motorcraft 2150 right cause if its not that my problems...

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
Parked on hill will not stall. I actually took my high lifts (think they are 45") and jacked the front of the truck like 7 or 8 notches from the tops and made no difference at all. It would start and stop, rev and behave nice. It seems to be happening when under a load going up hill. On flat road it don't seem to happen. Where I am testing is 3 hills in a row all climbing in altitude . I live in about the middle of the first one and I hit it pretty hard out of the gate and usually by the end of the second hill its starting to loose power then on the down hill side if I let off it seems to kind of sputter then put the pedal down again to make it up next hill will sometime miss then take off but that is short lived because the next hill (maybe 100yrd ahead) it starts to sputter about the middle of the 3rd then usually quits near there.

Does that confuse anyone? ;)
No, doesn't confuse me.

Absent you saying the exhaust is black, which at this point you have not, I believe it's starving for fuel, not flooding

I asked you to park it on a hill (hopefully you let it idle) to see if the change in float level would stall it, you indicated it didn't.

As you run up and down hills, there is a higher demand for fuel. It's getting some, but not enough to keep the bowl filled. I suppose the level could be too low, but I've seen them pretty low and they still drive ok.

I'll stick with my original: Your fuel filter could be clogged, tank pickup dirty, filter in the carb is backwards, bad or failing pump, dirty float needle and seat.

If you want to bypass guessing, plumb in a fuel pressure gauge and watch it as you climb the hills.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, doesn't confuse me.

Absent you saying the exhaust is black, which at this point you have not, I believe it's starving for fuel, not flooding

I asked you to park it on a hill (hopefully you let it idle) to see if the change in float level would stall it, you indicated it didn't.

As you run up and down hills, there is a higher demand for fuel. It's getting some, but not enough to keep the bowl filled. I suppose the level could be too low, but I've seen them pretty low and they still drive ok.

I'll stick with my original: Your fuel filter could be clogged, tank pickup dirty, filter in the carb is backwards, bad or failing pump, dirty float needle and seat.

If you want to bypass guessing, plumb in a fuel pressure gauge and watch it as you climb the hills.
Fuel filter is new and screws into front of carb so its not backwards, float needle and seat both new, float is brand new. I will have to get a FP gauge and test. Will report back.

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
Fuel filter is new and screws into front of carb so its not backwards, float needle and seat both new, float is brand new. I will have to get a FP gauge and test. Will report back.
I was thinking you had a 4bbl. Those I've seen a few in backwards.

Needle and seat may be new, but could have possibly picked up dirt. If you are pretty sure, press on. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I only had time to mess with it tonight for an hour but found a way to reproduce the issues sitting in the driveway. If I power brake just to the point where it wants to start pushing past the brakes and hold it, eventually it dies. Which means its not under load from hill its under extreme load. So when it dies I can restart it after a few cranks. I did the power brake again until it died. I then took the top of the carb off and the bowl was nearly empty. So I bought a fuel gauge and plan to test pressure under load tomorrow but based on that maybe its the float level? I have adjusted it up and down and got it as close to 31/64 as I can. I am seriously starting to wonder if I should be setting float with carb upside down instead of on the truck?

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
It's starving for fuel. It would do it climbing a hill, brake jacking it or running it WOT on a flat road. I assumed you had it set correctly when I made my suggestions. (post #6)

At this point a gauge would still be helpful, but obviously you can get it running by raising the float level. It's been a while since I worked on a Ford 2bbl, but I can't recall doing it upside down. Holleys can, but that doesn't help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrgidsxaDeA

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wanted to update.

The fuel pump was leaking has gas in oil. So I replaced it. Same issues. So I popped the rubber hose of the FP and blew through it with my air compressor. The first time the hose actually bulged and then then it blew through. Did it again and same thing. Then we tried to blow air again with the gas cap off but with our hand over it and it just pressurized the tank and when you let your hand off it allowed all the pressure in the tank to woooosh out. So I suspect it was either something in the line or the strainer in the tank was partially clogged and it blew off. Then this morning I went to start it and had to pump it a few times to get it to run. Any pressure on pedal would kill engine. So before it warmed up I pulled the line inlet line (line from gasd tank to fp) again and no fuel so figuring I had a clog I shot air back through and it just pressurized the tank and fuel came up the line. I had my son hold his hand over the gas tank fill hole while I pressurized the tank and it did the wooosh again. I put the line back on the fuel pump and it started right up. Had no issues revving and was running great again.

So I swapped the gas cap from my bronco (86 same cap) and so far so good. So a few questions, Is the 84 cap a ventless cap, can a leaking cap cause issues when the FP is trying to draw fuel up like a vaccum leak to the point of having fuel delivery issues?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Should have a NON venting cap. The gas tank has a vent line that is SUPPOSED to go to the engine bay, to a charcoal canister, which in turn goes to the carb to burn the fumes from the tank. If this line gets plugged or capped, the FP will be trying to pull fuel out of a vacuum situation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts