Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much should i figure on paying to have my carb rebuilt. one of my longtime buddies says he knows a good guy that can do it for 250 with all new gaskets and everything. i just don't have/want to replace the carb cause practically everything on this bronco is original and don't want to screw up anything by putting on different stuff. :usa :usa :drinkbud :drinkbud

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
why not just do it yourself. 20 bucks at most for a kit, then buy a can of solevent to soak the carb parts all in. Set everything to the specs on a sheet and slap it back on the truck, For 250$ you could lamost buy a shiny new one.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i'm with 85 on this one.......just tear it off mark any vac lines. count how many turns the adjusting screws make till they gently botom out take it apart dunk it in cleaner from auto parts store( after you remove any plastic parts the stuff in that can will/should be nasty stuff) or if you can dish washers make killer parts cleaners(extra credit if you do this in your wifes or girlfriends dish washer and live to tell about it) hose it down real well with spray carb cleaner make'n sure all passages are clear and jets are nice and shiny. put it back together with the new parts in the rebulid kit, bottom the adjusting screws and back them out to where they were before. slap it back on and your set.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
since i have never done it before i am just worried about screwing it up

·
0 Posts
I think I paid 250-280 for a shiny holley 750 double pumper.

I have rebuilt many-a-carbs and they aint that hard. I cant finish a rubix cube and have no clue how to program my VCR. But, i can rebuild a carb. :thumbup

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
That the Motorcraft 2 bbl??? I gotta go with these guys... not much to those to rebuild... I've done my own before...

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
doesn't matter which carb it is..they are all designed alike with few minor discrepencies (sp) ...the sheet that comes with the kit has an exploded view of the carb with all the parts labeled on it....and directions on how to set things....and if you are that worried about it just buy a new edelbrock and drop it on for that price..

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
I agree.... BUT!!!! :wacko (always a "but" in here somewhere...) :deal

The 2bbl Motorcraft/Holley's are simple, very few parts, good for first time rebuilders. I don't think I'd wish a Quadrajet rebuild on someone who's never done it before on ANY carburator... too may little pieces that look the same... unless youre well versed in carb rebuilding. 4 bbl Holley's aren't much more difficult... but Q-junks, and Carter AFB's(Edelbrocks), those are different animals altogether... Just make sure you get the brass float... the foam ones eventually act like a sponge and will give you all sorts of headaches... ;) :cry

hope this all helps... :thumbup

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just thought of something, my neighbor how is a big time ford guy, is really handy with carbs, he just rebuilt the one on his 1984 f-250 because it was flooding and went and bought a holley or something like that and it was sh*t. so maybe i could have him help me. :beer :duh

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
yea...i have rebuilt alot of them and i started with motorcycles when i was younger, but to me the worse are those damn quadrajunks, i can never get the damn primary and secondary needles seated right..errr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts