Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, as you guys saw, i was wanting to upgrade to a 4 barrell carb/intake. well, money is more tight now with some stuff i've had to do on my DD car, so i'm sticking with the 2 barrel for now. my question is do you guys know of a good place to buy a rebuilt 2 barrel carb, for a good price. i found a place that would rebuild mine for like $160, but that seems kind of steep, seems like i could find a new/rebuilt one for under $200. Any ideas guys? or should i just rebuild the carb myself? thanks

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Motorcraft 2150 yeppers.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Rebuild it yourself. It's a super simple carb to work on with only a couple adjustments. The instructions that come with the rebuild kit tell you exactly how to make all adjustments. It's a great carb to learn on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rebuild it yourself. It's a super simple carb to work on with only a couple adjustments. The instructions that come with the rebuild kit tell you exactly how to make all adjustments. It's a great carb to learn on.
Yeah do it yourself for around $25.00.
My daughter helped me do one and put the thing back together for me.
SIMPLE.

Kirk

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much time should i put aside to do it, i found a great site that had step by step instructions and great pics, he said 3 days because you want to soke some parts to get them completely cleaned. is there special stuff you buy to clean the carb parts or just use parts cleaner?

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
how much time should i put aside to do it, i found a great site that had step by step instructions and great pics, he said 3 days because you want to soke some parts to get them completely cleaned. is there special stuff you buy to clean the carb parts or just use parts cleaner?

you can do it in an hour or so. it is real easy. just did mine. use carbcleaner and a brush to clean it up vs letting it soak for days on end.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds good, i think i'll just do that. i wanted to learn how to do it anyways. any trick on getting it tuned right/ idle right?

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
back the idle screws out 2 turns each(after seating them all the way in of course) and then use a vacuum gauge to find the high vacuum.
other than that, carbs suck ass and you have to keep f*ckin with them, can't wait to efi this thing.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
eh, i had efi on my 86 and had ton's of problems too, but more expensive on efi. what do you mean by finding the high vacuum?

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
put a vacuum gauge on the vacuum tree. turn on the truck. then turn in one of the idle screws and the vacuum should go up. do the same with the other screw to keep them synched ( do half turn increments at first). repeat this until the vacuum drops. then back it out to get the high vacuum reading back. that should do it.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
awsome, thanks for the advice, i'll have to check that out first before i pull carb, planning on rebuilding it now when it gets warmer.

·
Registered
497 Posts
wheres that page on the 2 barrel rebuild. I still have the 4 barrell stuff. $350 shipped. ready to go

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
can i get a vacuum guage at like harbor frieght or any parts store like that?

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
yep. should have em nice and cheap. you can even make one by going to ace or some hardware store and buying the gauge and some fittings and a bit of tubing.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'll just go buy one. thanks guys, can't wait to get this fixed and have a good idle. plan on doing a tune up, though the wires and cap and plugs were suppose to be new when i bought it last summer, never hurts to give it a tune up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts